Monday 21 January 2019

(Big Game) Ramillies "Opening Rounds" [Game 1] Post #3

My focus was what was immediately in front on me, but I am sure "other things of great import " were happening elsewhere! Our one unit of fine Dutch foot supported by two units of dismounted Dutch Dragoons assaulted the buildings to our far left. The assault was successful and the town taken, much to the curses of the mounted French Dragoons who were racing to reinforce their comrades. Now with our flank secure we could turn our attention to four legs instead of two legs (see below - assaulted on two sides the French Dragoons fought to the death):


Meanwhile the "elite" of the French Guard Cavalry charged in massed column against the Dutch Guard Cavalry, who responded in turn with a massed column of attack (see below, a fearful sight and commitment of elite troops on both sides on "turn 1"):


To my relief the French were worsted and lost the melee (see below, devastating 2:1 losses gave teh French Guard Cavalry an embarrassing morale roll of the dice):


They failed and departed the field. The Dutch Guard meanwhile were left "blown" and disorganised; vulnerable to a French follow on charge - which seemed inevitable (see below):


In support of this action to my left I sent in two 'normal' Dutch formations of ordinary sabre wielding cavalry against "upper class" opponents (was there no end to this French Guard Cavalry formation?). The depth of both sides meant that there would be wave after wave of charge and counter charge (see below - my troopers are fighting to the far left, middle):


A close up of the first action. With factors heavily in their favour the French Guard were victorious, yet I saved the remnants of my formation (a stand - only 50% casualties!) to "pull back" [well done lads] and inflicted sufficient casualties back to leave the French Guard 'blown'and looking very vulnerable to a further counter attack [very well done my lads]. Could I be so lucky in the next? (see below, the "Fancy French Reds" meet my "Dull Danish Greys"):


Despite the chiding of the last unit of French Guard Cavalry I stared down his counter-charge (he slowed to the trot as he could see I was not game to fight on his terms) as it was initiated too far away (there were slight gasps of incredulity from my fellow team mates but I was proved right in the end - said with nervous relief). These boys would "come to terms with each other" next go (see below, off camera to the right the French artillery had been ineffectually firing their precious cannon ball ammunition at extreme range to the concern of the French C-in-C):


Again another French Guard Cavalry unit attacks in expecting easy pickings. My ordinary Dutch cavalry had moved inside minimum charge range so rather than a full bloodied affair everybody's chances to hit were 'reduced'. The odds were on the French I only hoped to be able to recover 'some of my boys', however despite receiving two hits they outperformed all my expectations and delivered four hits and won the melee. It continued and the French Guards died to a man. An unusual but welcome state of affairs (see below):


The initial exchanges had gone very well for the Allies, but there was much more hard fighting yet to be done. In the distance I could see Ramillies partly in ruins, more French and Allied (mainly British) cavalry were being sent to the cavalry arena. This is going to be a long drawn out bloody affair.

2 comments:

David Cooke said...

I'm finding this battle report entertaining and full of drama. Nice job!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks David
It certainly is a "saga" rather than a "short" battle!