Saturday 19 December 2020

On the Subject of Soviet WWII Armour: The T-35 Land-ship

It is everyone's secret desire to have a T-35 even though may not admit it, or like me even know what they would do with it if they ever made one (see below, the S-Models "two in a pack T-35" offer of a lifetime): 


Admittedly it did look slightly out of place on the painting tray, sharing time with a "brigade" of 20mm ACW Union troops - although to be honest the technology didn't seem too different (see below, the painful process of clipping the brittle plastic of the S-Model without breaking delicate parts is now far behind me): 


Delightfully the "multiple small rollers" track casting came literally in one part. So provided that you were careful clipping it out there was no "Matilda" or "Churchill" hell (those who have put together those Airfix kits will know what I am talking about) to contend with (see below, a multi-turreted monster - but still lovable at the same time): 


Harder than putting it together (and I did have a choice moment or two when I put the radio aerial on the turret) is painting the blooming thing. It took quite a long time and quite a lot of Airfix primer to finally cover it (see below, a ghostly post-build but pre-paint apparition - I originally thought they did but I was told that they never made it to the Winter War with Finland, I must double check that): 


Next came a refreshingly messy stage as I daubed the whole kit and caboodle in Vallejo Sepia Brown Wash (see below, I know they didn't see much combat - deployed and destroyed around Kiev in 1941, but they did a fair bit of travelling in the dusty Russian Summer, so my two T-35's are going to look grubby rather than factory finish):  


Next Stage: Time to break out the Vallejo Russian Green!

7 comments:

Trebian said...

Blimey! you get the radio aerial for the command tank! What a bonus.

Wasn't this vehicle based upon an elongated T-26?

Pete. said...

That is coming along very nicely.

Cheeres,

Pete.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Pete
There is still a lot of area to cover in paint though ;)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Trebian, I guess this is one tank I think that could or rather should easily fit a radio set in 'somewhere'

Far more use than one of those silly little turrets!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Trebian

"Wasn't this vehicle based upon an elongated T-26?"
Don't rightly know to be honest, a bit of Wikipedia research needed perhaps
I do know the "working one" rolled out every year on the Mayday Parade was totally manufactured from original plans well after the war

Bear that in mind when you see my post for tomorrow ;)

James Fisher said...

What a great looking model of an interesting tank. Those multi-turret 'landship' type of tanks, which proved to be ineffective, look great!
Your painted version looks tops. I can't imagine much more to do on the one in the final photo.
Regards, James

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers James
"Little" bit work to go on yet
Side coverings to go and big Red Stars required ;)

Should keep me busy over Xmas and into the New Year