Wednesday 24 March 2021

Oh When The Saints .. EPIC Warlord Games ACW .. "off the sprue"

Well there certainly is a lot of them (see below, but the nice thing about the stands is that they seem to have an amount of "gravity" and "believability" about them - they are "marching into battle"): 


The three pieces of the sprue - infantry, artillery and a commander - look good next to each other (see below, I do want to see how "good" they look "in mass" together):  


From one sprue .. this is a lot (see below, five infantry regiments, one artillery and a commander per sprue - and there was twelve sprues a side [Union/Confederate]): 


These look perfect for Bob Cordery's "The Portable Wargame" rule set and Neil Thomas' "One Hour Wargame" rules. I am putting off painting them and concentrating on getting them cleanly off the sprues (they come off really cleanly but I am trying to be patient, the only issue I have hit is with the artillery and my "fat fingers"), I keep getting this heretical thought - "Do I really need to paint them?" Even if I do "paint them" - then to what degree? A spray can, a wash and a little bit of flock. I know the artists at Warlord Games have done some fine painting - but why wait, through these chaps into a game asap? Black Powder does not look like a simple set of rules to pick up .. why not throw them at a simpler set? 

4 comments:

Independentwargamesgroup said...

If I didnt have a large 28mm ACW collection I would have been sorely tempted to tread the Warlord route until I saw their inexplicable add on costs. Clearly they have let their Games Workshop background influence them. Can I recommend you look at Volley and Bayonet as a great set of rules taylor made for these figures. If not then of course Blackpowder. They are very easy to play and certainly could never be described as complex.

Ray Rousell said...

They are pretty decent figures.

Martin Rapier said...

They do look nice, although I'd chop those long rows of figures in half to make twice as many bases.

BP isn't particularly complex, but it is a box of bits rule set (rather like the PW) so you can generate period feel by adding or subtracting all the various options. Beyond reading the through I've never actually bothered to attempt a game with them though.

Meanwhile the box full of unpainted Baccus ACW stuff is staring up at me. I'll paint those one day, maybe when I've got though the big box of plastic kits from Hannants which arrived yesterday. LOL

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks IndependantWargamesGroup,

Thanks for the tip re: V&B
I have played them before
I shall have to look in the "old rules collection" ;)

Ray,

Yes they are very workmanlike and certainly "good enough"
And the quantity allows "mass"

Martin,

The thought of "cutting them up" leaves me cold
I am pretty sure I would botch it
As for rules
I am pretty sure they will go through a few sets from OHW, PW, V&B and home-made

6mm is a very reputable scale for ACW
I think you have committed yourself to that ACW project
Envious of what is in the Hannant's boxes "do tell"

Best Wishes
Mark