Thursday 18 March 2021

And it came to pass that "A very BIG box of EPIC scale ACW came from Warlord Games" arrived with a 'thud' on my doorstep!

Yes, I am one of those "happy mad ones" who pre-ordered at Xmas. There was a knock at the door (see below, spare a thought for the Postie - if there were two or more wargamers on his beat or street they were doomed):   


It was then opened (see below, layers of "epic scale" stuff - as it said on the tin over 2,500 figures): 


Both armies albeit looking very similar apart from the colour of the sprue (see below, it also has to be said that figures for General Meade and General Robert E Lee also came in the box):  


Exciting as this was, the "bonus" was the A5 Black Powder Rules Book which means I can justify other Powder Era (Napoleonics, AWI, Malburian, Colonial) 28mm long standing purchases as "waiting for this time"! Ancients and Pike and Shot are still slightly awkward to justify .. but I have "adaptable" rules for those. 

5 comments:

Martin Rapier said...

What scale are these? Is it the wierd 13.5mm scale? Not that I'm tempted, I have a great pile of unpainted Baccus ACW, in their very own wierd "6mm" scale (a head taller than H&R)

Trebian said...

I agree it's an odd scale. They do look impressive in large numbers. Getting Black Powder is a poor excuse for buying more figures...unless it means you buy the figures and then throw BP away.

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Yes, I got my box a couple of days ago too.

I gave the A5 rule book to my chum whose eyes are much younger than mine. I'll use my A4 version instead.

Pete. said...

Interesting- I always think one day I'll start collecting ACW stuff but have never made the leap yet....

Cheers,

Pete.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Gents,

Yes it is a curious scale whether you consider EPIC a small 15mm or large 10mm - the appeal is if you have not bought into 15mm in a massive way it's a win because of the sheer quantity.

The thought of using them unpainted straight away is running riot through my mind .. rules - I was hoping that there would be a Black Powder lite (10 pages or so) but those ten pages were to give an EPIC sized flavour.

I am thinking Portable Wargame Rules or One Hour Wargames in the first instance. Two much messy disassembly to get them working for F&F.

Might just give Black Powder a try and sit back reflecting afterwards!

Note: I have already signed up for the pre-order Cavalry, that alongside the dismounted cavalry and skirmished id the "complete core" of what's needed. The Iron Brigade, Zouarves, Limbers, Wagons, Casualties and even Generals .. are chrome .. not saying I might not get them but the "game can go on" without them ;)

Best Wishes
Mark