Sunday 13 November 2022

Remembrance Sunday 2022

There is a village in North Yorkshire, England .. like so many other small villages and places in the UK that remembers those who made the sacrifice (see below, the hand knitted poppies from the community, mostly red, but white, purple and black too - are planted): 


Individual soldiers were researched and remembered (see below, the old photographs are haunting, putting a face to a chiselled name): 


The lawn of the church bleeds red (see below, from the font of the War Memorial across the well-cut grass): 


The ghosts stand-to, guarding the poppies (see below, and stop the passer-by in their tracks): 


There are so many to be named (see below, from all walks of life): 


From the world wars and more modern wars (see below, it never seems to stop):


It is a very moving place where people's thoughts turn to the past (see below, I am left wondering how far we have actually come): 


And this is but one of the many villages, of the many towns and of the many cities in the UK and wider Commonwealth and connected world (see below, it touches us all): 


Remembrance and respect.

4 comments:

rross said...

A very impressive tribute, thanks for sharing this.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks rross it stopped me in my tracks when I came across it
There was obviously such a lot of thought and talent put into it

A J said...

A touching display, and it really hits home. Every Remembrance Sunday I think of those who died in war, and hope we will learn sense enough to avoid it one day soon.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello A J, yes I totally agree

There was a simple brilliance in the way it was done
Not jingoistic, not glorification, respectful but you felt the hurt and a sense of loss - Lives unfulfilled
When you look at ages of those who fell you feel life was robbed

I was completely blown when a passer by stopped, and spontaneously said "That's my uncle, I never met him. But my mam, his sister, give me his name." I was lost for words, his uncle fell in 1940 in the Lowlands, aged 20.

Best Wishes
Mark