Saturday 29 January 2022

Purchase Number 1: Long Awaited Xmas present - Epic Waterloo Collection

January seems to be becoming a month of deliveries for me - this first one comes from a long standing Xmas present pre-order (see below, Warlord Games Epic Waterloo collection, British and French Starter Armies):


Seeing as I did not possess anything like an existing large collection of Napoleonics  in 15mm, the Epic scale was OK for me (I was also sold on the ease for the "hard of thinking" assembling a large collection at one go, aka the Warlord Games "Army in a Box Special straight off the shelf",  jump-starting into a period which I have long been thinking about). To be honest the only other viable alternative for a Napoleonic project would probably have been a 6mm for me - too small for these tired eyes. If it just starts and ends at Waterloo, then that is fine by me!

My first though is even not to bother with any form of fancy painting but to go retro with the Airfix Waterloo Wargame of yesterday - simply Red fighting Blue. I am thinking along the lines of a "condensed form" of DBA representing a Napoleonic battle with a Left, Centre, Right and Reserve perhaps on a table four foot wide by two-three foot deep.

13 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. If just starting out in Napoleonics and Big Battles, this might be a good solution.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

That was the plan and a minimalist painting approach ;)

Simon said...

I have to say I am really not sure about the epic thing.

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

Exciting BIG boxes of toys! Lovely

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

MJT .. I was sold on the quantity and three arms in one box (enough to fulfil my wildest dreams .. although to some people they will be "small dreams"

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Simon, I do see where you are coming from, but for me my prior investment in [big battle scale] Napoleonics was absolutely minimal .. a token painting gesture of a few bases (and I sadly mean a few) French and Prussian infantry - that after over twenty years was really going nowhere (I seem to know people who are 15mm Napoleonic painting machines but that is certainly not me).

I haven't got my head into 6mm (it may come), I looked and there was too much fiddle with no immediate gain and 28mm is for Sharp Practice (ahem, one day).

Anyway "good hunting" in your period and scales :)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

One thing is for sure - I am not rushing to play Black Powder - Blucher perhaps

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Thats a lot of figures to snip etc. The offer is however good value. Im not certain that you will be able to use them as a DBA type of game. The infantry units make up into a base size the equivalent of a 28mm infantry unit if the review in WI is correct. They are basically using the Blackpowder rules in a 15mm scale, so it will probably best to use cm's instead of the inches movement and ranges.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Good points Independent Wargames Group
For clarification .. when I say DBA I mean a few big blocks and chunks representing a mass of bodies .. I am not thinking of playing them in Black Powder straight off (but not ruling it out either)

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Friend and I played a lot of DBN last year, so if you are sold on the DBA school of rules I'd recommend them for a look-see...

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Steve, I will look them up
At the moment I am looking at using the Worthington Games Waterloo Solitaire game to be a visual diorama style battle (no measuring just invoking actions, dice and consequences)

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Ahh - I know about that one ( Worthington Games Waterloo Solitaire game), and have it on my 'too buy' list with Amazon.. be interested how this one turns out...

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I can honestly say its worth it just from browsing through, at yet un-played but that is soon to be addressed