Monday 10 January 2022

Steel Panthers: World at War - Generals Edition (in Sale) - Nostalgia

Steel Panthers is an old friend of mine from the mid-nineties. Albeit in the modern 3D graphics department it is lacking, certainly in the photorealistic first person shooter sense, but it still has massive appeal for me by being effectively being "Squad Leader with working tank rules". Without the hassle of arguing (with yourself or another player) what you could and could not do in a specific circumstance [and when you really "wanted it" there always seemed to be an exception]! So ... I independently searched for it knowing it was last seen in the hands of Matrixgames to see that it was in a "Winter Sale" (see below, for old times sake I just had to get it):


I have started playing the rule learning scenarios - and the same love/hate game mechanism is there ,, but I can see some mindless hours of fun being spent here :) 

4 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

I had a lot of fun with Steel Panthers- WaW back in the day. Some really good scenarios. Thunder at Banya Pass was a favorite. Unfortunately I have lost the patience thegame requires. I do have another one from the 1990s Europe in Flames, East Front. Didn't works very well under Vista 9no surprises there) and Win&, but surprisingly well behaved under Win10!

Martin Rapier said...

I used play SP a lot, a great deal in fact. It was a fun game although it suffered from the SL syndrome of millions of units just rambling around doing their own thing with no command structure at all. Playing by email (remember that!?) against human opponents took it to a whole new level.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Yes I completely agree with the patience aspect of the game
A bit like Squad Leader - when the counter count increases the game becomes unwieldy

I was a fan of the small to medium scenarios

I remember a "modern" version of Steel Panthers that had helicopters flying around like bumble bees at insane speeds

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Totally agree Martin
Played some good hot seat games (when in a shared flat in London) against a human component
Psychology certainly came into play