Thursday 27 January 2022

What next ... 2022 fun things explored to date and those currently being explored

Well for a start .. in the spirit of mindfulness .. getting back into the habit of blogging a snippet ever day or so of wargame progress (not using the term "projects" anymore) and thoughts, I find really cathartic. AS a matter of fact I have already blogged more in Jan 2022 than in any month in 2021, so I think that is a good sign (see below, my friend from the 1990's past, I remember that box cover art, the classic menace of the Panther tank, all Sherman crew beware):



I am continuing to play Steel Panthers on my computer and I am finding the scenarios very interesting. My approach is to do them one by in numerical order, previously I jumped from small scenario to small scenario, but it looks like in doing so I missed out on some real gems.  To date sixteen done so far out of a catalogue of three hundred and forty four, [note the sixteen was including the eight training tutorials - which also exposed my "superficial click mouse button bait" style of play. Dumb game play at times but it seemed to be working, sort of. That was my naivety and just surface knowledge of some elements of the rule system. When you slow yourself down (less haste gleans more speed), rather than rushing through stuff as quick as you can, you find Steel Panthers is a very feature rich game (though heavy on the mouse clicks). 

Board game to miniature wise ...

I really want to play the Beda Fomm board game through to completion, but a slight Covid complication is delaying that at the moment (nothing too serious, touch wood). Then after we are all "board gamed-out" doing that - transfer to the table-top some small battalion-sized vignettes to be played under [Frank Chadwick's] Command Decision rules and compare the battles results - then perhaps replay them with some different rule (and compare them too)? That means a bit of a rush on some British early war tanks to be painted up for me (A9s, A10s,and A13s) plus some Morris ACs. (I also have to say that the more I learn of the battle the more unhistorical the Steel Panthers version of the scenario looks). There is an incoming Pendrakon order of 10mm tanks expected oh so soon!

Pep Talk to Self: Now be a good boy and crack on with the "Western Desert" stiff .. never you mid about any sort of calling of the "Warlord Epic Scale" of the ACW in your mind, or the immanent arrival of the Napoleonic range. 

4 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

I have fond memories of many an SSI game played on my C64 back in the last century. Many, many hours wasted there...

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

:)

When the mouse was considered "High Tech"

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Loved/d Steel Panthers - found it on DOS BOX the other month and have reacquainted myself.. they have Age of Rifles as well, which was another favourite... now if I can only find Wargames Construction Kit I'm done.. :o))

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

It has to be said I am click bait happy playing that game, despite thr retro graphic elements that is "good enough for me" and clunky in parts user interface'

;)