Thursday 31 August 2023

Augmented Reality in Table Top Wargaming .. Whatever Comes Next?

Is this really the future of wargaming? (see the links below .. pause, gasp and then question .. there are fun elements to both approaches):


The Electronic App: 


The Electronic Table:
https://www.valkyrx.com/

I have to say, the older I get, the more I go back to basics and the more traditional tactile ways of doing things! However if it could sort out "fractious wargaming dilemmas" (over rules) that occur from time to time on a table top, then I would be interested [instead of ringing up or emailing the rules writer]. Having said that, over the years I find I tend to stop wargaming with those types of people anymore, or move away from those sets of rules whose games develop in that way to bring about unnecessary ambiguity. However I would like to see it work for DBA, DBM, DBMM etc rule system that attracts "cunning, clever play" and "rule lawyers" going that extra mile (or "mm") to win. How well will it deal with table top clutter of my wargaming table I wonder? (see below, the helpful 'app in my hand' will tell me the answer - to questions of firing and morale):


An alternative approach is to be highly restrictive but precise in what the table top, what it displays and means. Smart figures and smart tables (with stupid players). No illegal moves and clear signalling to show valid, legal play (see below, is this the wargaming dream world of the future?): 


Perhaps, but only time will tell!

4 comments:

Phil Dutré said...

No doubt new tech can add to our existing games. I work in computer science research, with a focus on graphics and visualization, so I'm well aware of the possibilities.

But on the other hand, the question remains whether that will be the games we want to play.

For me, miniature wargaming is very much an analogue and tactile hobby. A large part of the fun and style of miniature wargaming is picking up and moving the miniatures around, and as a logical consequence, the rules mechanics should reflect that as well. Using an analogue distance measure, using physical dice, using real markers to indicate status of your units etc. Outsourcing those mechanics to a digital mechanic is denying the soul of what a hobby as miniature wargaming is about ... playing with toys.

"But the complicated rules can be run by the computer!" Sure, but that's the wrong answer to the problem. If the rules are too complicated for humans to run, the rules should be simplified. Computer games are of course able to track all sorts of statistics in real time. But do we really want to do that in a miniature game as well? This links to what I sad before ... there is value in keeping everything analogue.

Sometimes I make the comparison with shooting the bow-and-arrow (as a sport). If the only aim is to hit the target, better use a pistol with range finders etc. But the idea of the game is to shoot the bow-and-arrow, not use something else instead.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I follow and agree with your reasoning!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

For some reason this post in particular acts like a magnet for people trying to re-direct people to online gambling sites - I filter out these comments and mark them as spam

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I keep reporting the people who post "bad comments" here to Google as SPAM abuse. None of their comments make it through to the blog thankfully!