Sunday 5 July 2020

More Thoughts on my Gripping Beast: Saxons

I have had these original metal Gripping Beast Saxons, as stated before, going back to last century. When the Gripping Beast metals first came out they set a new standard and took the show scene by storm, certainly for the Dark Age period. I remember they came packaged in what seemed to be old video boxes and I with a friend split a pack, so we got twenty each! My collection's ranks have been swelled now with some plastic Wargames Factory troops as well as the Gripping Beast plastics, including some pesky [expensive metal] archers before plastic alternatives were available (see below, repeating the angry Saxon Hoard look from a previous post):

 
A very useful acquisition from the Gripping Beast Plastic range, some twenty four archers (the metals I bought still have not been painted), nominally Saxon but they could easily be loaned out to other factions (Normans even Vikings). Three repetitive poses (I may be inclined to do some later head swaps) but they quickly bulk out the army with some nice clean lines (see below):


All that is required now is a stint of "Dark Age" figure painting! Vikings and Normans for 1066 beckon!

No comments: