Wednesday 4 April 2018

Wargames Rules Modern (Post 1950): Digging up Old Rules and Dusting Them Off Continued (WRG Wargame Rules 1950-2000: Edition 1993)

Rules search update: 

It seems that the 1988 edition of the WWII rules will be far different from my 1973 version, hinted at and outlined from comments to my previous post (drat). By looking ahead at the 1950-2000 rules I acquired (which is an appropriate set for the Falklands, NATO v Warsaw Pact, Arab v Israeli, Iran v Iraq, the 1st and 2nd Gulf Wars and perhaps even Vietnam or Russians in Afghanistan) you can see that there are several new concepts which seem to follow from the Barker "troop definitions" (think DBA definitions), orders, modes, force posture, morale and combat skills, Tactical and Exigency Modes in small 1990's closely typed typescript. No evidence of the advent of the word processor home publishing revolution here. Oh for the sweet breath of fresh "comic sans" here! Looks like it will need some meticulous close scrutiny over a quiet weekend of two (see below): 


Hmm, so methinks I will need to get the 1988 WWII version of Armour and Infantry (eventually) to update my WWII part of the WRG rule set (see below, but it looks like costing me £20 via WRG)


However I do fancy a couple of nostalgic games with the 1973 WWII version first though!

4 comments:

Duc de Gobin said...

Wow. I remember these from the 80s. I hadn't actually realised that there was a newer (relatively speaking) 90s version of the modern rules (with elements). I may have to get these.
My memory of the 1970s WWII version is ' 'use lots of smoke'.Can't seem to remember why that sticks in my mind ;)

Monty said...

Wow! How things change :)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Check out eBay you may be able to pick the new ones up fro about a £5

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Monty,

The most obvious difference is that the 1970-90s rules seem to emphasis how much you can do in a short period of time with a section and squad

The movement rates based on average speeds in short tactical turns imply silly distances in the medium/longer

Higher organisation based games Command Decision lengthened the turn time to compensate by talking in platoons are considering bigger areas

I do want to play some games with the tactical WRG rules but I think they need a good old-fashioned double blind referee to work