Sunday 30 August 2020

ACW 20mm Project - Confederate Infantry WIP Review to Date

In the beginning there was a sad forlorn box in the loft of "based figures" that bore the scars of many false starts (see below, needing some love I tried to bring everything to a base level, the Union boys seen below were covered in PVA and then "washed black" with Vallejo Dipping Black):   

Conversely the Confederates were PVA'ed and then "washed brown" with Vallejo Dipping Brown (see below, Confederates to the left and the Union Federals to the right):

The original Revell painting diagrams and Tamiya (in period with the original purchase date) acrylic paints (see below, I decided to go Confederate first as the challenge of painting highlights in grey was easier than the study of "variations in blue" for the Union): 

An earlier post showed my first Confederate unit (a unit being: six bases, three figures per base) so here is my second (see below, a column marching to the front, keeping in step): 

The first unit with Confederate flag flying in the breeze (indicating an "elite" unit for me in the "One Hour Wargame" rules), lined waiting for the action to start (see below, the first two units were all of similar/identical poses and a "detailed study of grey"): 


The "third division" got a more interesting "rustic mixed bag" of Southern gentlemen, where the grey gives way to browns, khaki and butter-scotch (see below, there is definitely some Confederate character in these poses and I do like the range of poses that work well together): 


The "fourth division" was a good mixture of poses but more back to the uniform Confederate grey (see below, again with a flag to indicate an "elite" unit): 


Finally the "fifth division" a mixed, mixed bag of poses and colours which feels really in keeping with the Confederates, particularly the longer they were on campaign (see below, this units completes "the max" number of infantry units I need for the One Hour Wargame Rules ACW army): 


Gathered in mass they look a fine sight (see below, they still need some TLC on the bases [aka flock], but with a sense of relief and pride I can put my paint brush down): 


I think the boys are looking good, time to move onto their [Confederate] artillery and cavalry supporting arms!

5 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

They are lovely!

Stryker said...

You've done a great job, although a Union man myself I can still appreciate a well painted Rebel battle line!


Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Gents,

Stryker I am also a Union man myself ;)

The "Onions" are coming next as I always follow an old wargamers advice and paint both sides to a conflict so you are never short of a partner (at least being able to participate in a bit of solo gaming)

Steve I an looking forward to seeing how the finishing basing makes them look and I may but a selective light grey highlight as a final highlight

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

Great painting. Your flag bearers are particularly nice work.
Will be good to see these in action!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Almost finished the Confederates but I still have to start on the Union, the the OHW fun can begin