Thursday 27 August 2020

Holiday Painting Project: Confederate Infantry in 20mm (Revell Plastics)

These boys started "their journey" with me in 1992 or thereabouts as a fire damaged (as in the packaging) job lot at as a penny a figure (see below, the "to be completed" flags actually come from teh Revell Union packet but are IMHO are totally "inter-changeable" - one is blue the other is grey!): 

In keeping with the retro feel I used the good old Tamiya paints wherever possible, which almost matched age of the figures, but with a rousing stir [a couple of minutes] they were ready to go as if brand new. Although I had already started some I PVA sealed them all, and washed them with a Vallejo Brown "Dipping Wash" to be at a consistent starting point (see below, note - there are several packs of "same pose" Confederates gathered for this group shot): 

I stared long and hard at the blank flags and plunged in with a Rebel Yell. I plan to do a mass "flock" at the end (see below, I think it makes all the difference): 

A basic unit of play, the flag would denote an "elite" unit in the One Hour Wargame rules (see below, I need to paint up another four infantry, two artillery and two cavalry): 

The plan is that a unit of six stands would be a One Hour Wargame unit .. six of which basically make up an army. Yes, I want to introduce my Padawan to the ACW to see if he is as lucky with a musket as he is with a spear.

4 comments:

Martin Rapier said...

What lovely figures! I do like 20mm.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Martin

A classic case of a bundle of plastic figures in a box in the loft
With the help of One Hour Wargames they may even fulfill their wargaming destiny

Nice range of poses and Union and Confederate fairly interchangeable
The more rustic Confederates being the only ones that don't cross over
The "flags" were fro the Revell (now Imex) Union pack ;)

Zouarves are a potential troop type to get for the Union too!

JohnM said...

Those are nice Geordie, they've come out well 👍

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers JohnM,

Still do do the basing but it is an "overdue project of love"!
That didn't cost the earth!
Just a bit of time