Monday 29 August 2022

Discoveries in a Bookshop - British Recognition Plates (late 19th Century to WWII) and a Trireme Book

There is always something to be found in a bookshop, the more rambling the better and I particularly like the buzz you can get when you comes across something you thought could not possible exist. Hence the sheer joy I felt when touching a physical book like this one (see below, spoiler alert I could not justify the purchase, but I still love the thought that this book collection exists):

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Richard-Perkins/a/2685

Seven volumes of illustrated warship plates exist (gulp which comprise Richard Perkins life's work). Something to compliment [perhaps dwarf would be be better phrased] my trio "Janes" [two volumes], "Conway" [three out of four volumes] and "Brown" [two volumes] warship collections - but ultra specific to the RN. In the (physical, sigh) book shop there were only three out of the seven volumes (but priced at £19.99 each which was so, so tempting). Back home, shopping around on Amazon and the like, I see you can get them cheaper than the Pen and Sword (even with there current discounted prices [approx £50]) but I think it might take some creative search energy to get the complete set. I was almost crying (inside, not in front of the children) leaving the store .. but hid it well. It was that "buy the set or nothing" moment.

There was a brighter note as I did purchase "something interesting" from the store, something pre "age of sail", back to those Greek trireme rowing days (see below, the selling factor being, albeit crude, the maps included inside - suitable for a stab at scenario creation or two): 


Something of an excuse or incentive for my 1/1200 Navwar trireme collection to come out to play sometime later this year or early next.  

No comments: