Wednesday 13 October 2010

A field of Valiant American GI's

After many hours spent with modelling knife, plastic glue and super-glue behold my Valiant American GI's from Normandy line up in raw plastic.


The trial batch were processed a while back, so the rest of the "battalion" makes its way to the production line. As per the instructions in the packet the figure poses were chosen to field a Rapid Fire US Infantry Battalion 1944 with a few (or more than a few) spares left over (see below).


Also seen is an Italeri M8. Nice to see new mouldings hit the market and it goes well with my Skytrex metal M8 and M20. I will probably get the Italeri M20 if I see it (and if it is under a £10). It is a nice kit though with fiddly parts, to counter this they have wargame mode instructions which leaves out the bits that will probably break.


That way I have the makings of a US Combat Team Recon Group. My (old original ECSI) M3 Scout Cars, plus Hasagawa M3 and M4 Half Tracks should do nicely as transport for the Armoured Infantry.


Seen here in nude plastic wanting, nay yelling for paint. One could also ask where oh where are my metal Platoon 20 British 1944 Normandy infantry, left so near to completion at the start of this year. Waiting patiently is the answer

:(

8 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Uncle Sam's finest!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Lots of work still to do as I am only a quarter of the way through the whole packet

I am determined to try and do the Stars and Stripes shoulder patch and a stab at the regimental tabs too

Yep, completely mad!

Al said...

Interesting choice of figures. Will follow this project with interest.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Al,

Yes they are on the large size
Big 1/72 rather than 1/76

I don't think they are mixable with other manufacturers but they are lovely figures!

mork6969 said...

Impressing! I like the Valiants and I´m very interested in the progress of your work.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I like Valient Miniatures mork6969

Hence I also have the British Infantry pack (and so the Americans finally get their 81mm mortar) as WIP project too

In addition they have two German Infantry packs both of which I intend to acquire at some point.

I assume they will progress a Russian pack at some point too?

Although bigger in size than other manufacturer ranges I don't see this stopping them appearing on tabletop as long a you keep the Valient's together (especially as WWII opposing bases should rarely touch)

Indeed it's a nice way of telling your battalions apart at a glance

Paul said...

Good progress update! I like the brits but feel that the US look a little off. Maybe they look better painted, or it could be me.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I know what you mean.

I do like the GI's but a few of the poses are a little bit fiddly to put together and look realistic

There are a few classic poses, the officer nd BAR gunner come to mind. I also like the 30 cal gunner.

I reserve opinion on the Bazooka loader

Strangely I think the lack of pose variety works well as an advantage for the British pack