Here I am starting the basing process:
- Ships out of packet
- Under-coated black (good old Games Workshop Chaos Black as it covers well)
- Scalpel/spatula to create wavy patterns
- Rather old (see later) packet of DIY flexible filler for the sea carving with the scalpel/spatula.
Note the broken Buzz Lightyear toy forlornly waits for attention in the background (I've tried several time bit his gripping hands don't take well to the super glue)
I dries overnight. Urk, sometimes it does not work as intended :(
With said scalpel I had spread the flexible filler creating a nice wave pattern (or at least uneven texture to the surface) just I had done many times before, however not a good result as it looked like a cracked Arizona desert floor, baked in the sun.
Yes, too many cracks and it's all flaky, peeling off the card. Did I apply too much filler (it did go on thicker than before)or is the DIY filler stuff getting too old (or even was the heating/temperature too hot in the room, as its winter now)? Who knows, give the filler a good squeeze/mix and apply a fresh (thinner) coat.
Better but not perfect. In fact I give it a touch up layers before I undercoat the sea. Again not perfect but it's on with the painting which covers up most of my concerns and seems pulls it together.
Several paint applications later ...
Next stop Iron Bottom sound!
As I was doing this I found a useful reference web-site for my up and coming US Battleship, CV and Cruiser painting spree scheduled for the winter:
WWII US Navy Paint Scheme Website
For 1/3000 I may give most of the details a miss, but I might at most be inventive/follow the colour of the US Navy decks.
The nights are drawing in but there are plenty of ships to do :)