Friday 24 August 2018

Inspired by "Small Wars"

I think the greatest compliment I can give a game designer is "Thank you, you inspired me to play and from there I made my own version of your game." Small Wars is already worth its weight in gold to me (see below, also see The History of Wargaming Project - Small Wars):


I played one solo and one group game of "Six Months in the Sahara" French Foreign Legion (FFL) game. Both games ending with the FFL being overrun with hostile Arabs, dying (if not lead) in the finest tradition of The Legion (see below, the "homemade board):


What is more the "system" was taken one step further and applied to the apocalyptic world of "The Walking Dead" (see below, spoiler alert "everyone died" in a glorious do or die battle at the end):


The sign of a good game is one you enjoyed playing. The sign of a great game is when it inspires you to make one of your own for others! Thank you Mr David Wayne Thomas, the fun continues as I contemplate the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

No comments: