Monday 19 November 2018

Next Up: Cavalry of the Sun King - Walloon Cavalry for Ramillies 1706.

The box has arrived and it's quite a big one!. The horses "sprues" look straight forward to put together but the cavalry troopers look quite complex as they are many variations allowed for, from normal French cavalryman to Bavarian Currassier (see below, November's job is to put them together and finish off painting the infantry - the tangerines in the background are a nice touch):


I definitely have the 28mm Plastic "buy anything bug". Too much quality about  .. too little restraint ;)

2 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

Already having an army of these guys from when they were 'Wars of the Spanish Succession, with some very good deals, I have renewed an interest in these. My imperialists have 7 36-figure infantry, 3 24-figure horse, and 4 guns, of which I made 2 *pr and 2 12 pr.

Thinking to add some light infantry and light cavalry I just recently bought a 'Starter Army'. Then a lengthy research could not unearth any information on light infantry - grenzers, jagers, pandours, whatever - in Imperialist service at that time. So I am leaning towards making them French.

The Starter Army gives you 96 infantry, 12 cavalry, 3 guns with 12 gunners, and 3 'field officers' as I call them. I think I would have preferred a foot to horse ratio of 72 to 24 (i.e. replacing a 24-figure foot set with a 12-figure horse set) but that's not a huge issue. I can buy more cavalry.|

Alternatively, I could 'do' Catalans, which has a whole different attraction of its own.

At any rate, I've gone and ordered another Starter Army set. If I do make them French, that will give me 5 battalions (with 12 figures over), one cavalry (24 figures) and 6 cannon (4 8pr and 2 12pr probably), with 6 field officers. An infantry and two cavalry boxes will round off the army.

They are nice figures, I reckon: stately and they go together reasonably well.

It would be really nice if the vendors (War and Peace Games in this half of the world) made 'waist down' sprues. Then one could make some use of the spare torsos heads and weapons.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

AP,

Complete respect for stamina in painting these 28mm chaps
I get exhausted painting a "box" of 24!

Best Wishes
Mark