Thursday 26 September 2019

10mm Late WW2 British Infantry .. Shades and Highlights (4) Labelling and Game Aids

The final bit of the figure basing puzzle is how to label the bases clearly as to "what" a counter is in respect to the Order of Battle. The cunning 10mm gap at the rear of the bases was left so a clear label could be placed. As I was specifically painting these up for FireMove (see Simulating War by Prof Phil Sabin) and denoting which company a platoon belongs to is the most important factor I decided to go for a simple colour band (see below, not really that generic for other game systems and I may peel the labels off later, but it is a good cognitive helper in FireMove):


Let us not forger the Germans too. I was going to use six existing German infantry bases (without cunning space for labels at the back) so I created a sheath with compant colour at the back and a white marker at the front to denote they were "dug-in". If they "moved out" I would simply detach the white marker (see below, note the British Infantry does not have the option of starting FireMove as dug-in as they have already moved up some 500m to get to the baseline):


All miniatures now ready for their FireMove run-out at Connections UK 2019. Next I thought time to pay some thought and attention for gaming aids. To help ease the cognitive loading during the game with some simple rule reminding devices. I am thinking colour coded firing sticks [coffee stirrers] to help the players visualise and arrange 'valid' fire patterns - particularly as in FireMove different companies cannot combine in the same "fire attack" and I wanted an easy way to show this - hence the coloured coffee stirrers, coloured cocktail sticks to indicate spread of fire and/or close combat (see below, serrated disc for Victory Point hexes and the yellow one for the British Mortar spotting):


All good stuff, the photograph above is post Connections UK 2019 where I am looking to restock on the bits and pieces that inevitably go missing. Looking ahead (past FireMove) I might well make up some urban terrain for Block Busting, the next game in Phil Sabin's book.

No comments: