Saturday 7 March 2020

My "last" set of 28mm WW2 Russians?

Again the 28mm assembly line is churning out the assembled figures, akin to a Space Marine factory with all the "snipping off the sprue". It does wear on the fingers and thumbs though and is best done in short bursts. A squad a time so to speak. One of my completed projects (or so I thought) was my Stalingrad Russians. Now looking closely at the early orders of battle, at the outset of the battle the Russians had eight riflemen to their squad (much in alignment to the rest of the world's armies), but soon as attrition set in this came down to six (as per the "Two Fat Lardies" order of battle anyway and who am I to argue). Looking as this hole in my collection I spied the Warlord Games KV1/2 pack that came with a useful sprue of eight little Russians so a perfect match in heaven was made (see below, Ivan and his friends, all sturdy run-of-the-mill riflemen of the Soviet Union, no sexy SMGs to be found here):


Could this be the end of the Russian infantry component to my 28mm collection (a collection I remember swearing never to start on several years ago)? I suspect not as there will always be little add on extras (my fellow wargamers laughed at me when I announced this). It was also pointed out to me that the official roster at the start of Barbarossa had "ten" Soviet riflemen to a squad. Have I a need for a second KV1/2? I wonder, but I think there are other nationalities I need to consider first!

2 comments:

Renko said...

There are 14 in a Winter war squad - just saying

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hmm, now you have put that thought in my mind .. I will have to go make a Motti but be watching out for those Finnish Ski-Troops