Monday 9 March 2020

What to do with all this Sprue?

One of the strange questions I was left with after a lot of 28mm kit assembly (and it was not the wife's "Why, oh why did I not check out his hobbies deeper before I married him!") was - "What do you do with all this left over sprue - it seems too good to throw away, think about the planet". When you clip apart metal kits all spare "lead" (I will call it lead even though we all know it is not really lead) into the jar for melting down at a later date "for something ". I have taken to keeping strips of sprue thinking that it also will come into use at a later point (see below, a solution looking for a problem - a term often used in a nasty way to describe AI):  


I have amassed quite a bit of it now and it is becoming a bit of a storage problem (three full cartons of plastic [empty] ice cream boxes and still growing) and something I need to consciously hide from Great Tumberg as it does not endorse my carbon footprint positively! The closest I have come is a useful link from Renko:

https://iagsmgm.blogspot.com/2016/12/minefields-barbed-wire-exploded-mine.html?fbclid=IwAR3bCPqjw8RqXAdmcYSgJIVYSYTqh0_djmA-m-HWMqckmzT1eqEW4MpuXmc

Which means instead of strips I should be keeping corners and rectangles (pass me another empty plastic ice cream container and don't tell Greta). I should add that to save a small portion of the family's carbon footprint I am using the empty butter boxes (very thoroughly cleaned I may add .. so the detergent usage has gone up significantly) as perfect 28mm Squad boxes! My initial thoughts on sprues as they would be perfect as battered interior supports for broken buildings and making a frame for other buildings has yet to be "instantiated".

6 comments:

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

I have used plastic sprue for many things so I can understand you using it. For example, superstructure 'bits' for anything sci fi related, very small buildings for 1:1200 use (Steve Blease modelled a whole town based on a CD using this method) and also for anti tank defences. You could even fashion some of 'Rommel's Asparagus' using it.

I reckon you should be scoring brownie points for your recycling efforts!

All the best,

DC

Nigel Drury said...

If you have any sprue with a round cross-section, you can cut L-shaped pieces from the corners which then make useful ventilators on scratch-built 1/300 ships for Cruel Seas.

Whiskers said...

In the olden days, “heat-stretched sprue” was the only way to create anything from spears to TV camera tripods.
Use your imagination.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Another email said:

Barb wire mate.
Or failing that feedstock for Fischer Tropsch.

Martin Rapier said...

I keep some sprue in stick, but only half a dozen strips. My various bodged modelling projects make heavy use of it for all sorts of things. And yes, I still do the heat stretched sprue thing, to looks of despair from my wife.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I love the smell of burning sprue in the morning
Thanks for all your ideas and support gents ;)