Thursday 10 September 2020

Latest Addiction: Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy (WSS) Podcasts

New Update: One of the dreaded Covid-19 afflictions finally caught up with me, no not the virus itself. [Footnote: I did come down with some mild symptoms a month back, but was tested (that should read subjected to a stabbing swab down the throat and up the nose) but the results came back a blank negative (so was it in fact worse, a near lethal strain of man-flu?). What I got was far worse, the "DIY Blues" or rather "a strange minty shade of green that my wife and daughter liked" that had to be plastered over the living room walls in multiple coats. So to keep me sane somebody called Alexa kept me company. I drained my knowledge of classic songs (and the family asked me to stop playing the "Dramatic Music" play-list) so wandered from songs to radio to .. inspirational thought .. "What about Podcasts?" Alexa confessed that she was not very good at recommendations after I slung several wargaming memes at her, but I eventually found an American thing (aka podcast) called "Wargaming Recon":

http://www.wargamingrecon.com/

This was going great, although the wife was getting suspicious at my glee and diligence in doing DIY painting, and I worked my way back from episode 259 until I hit a technical glitch with Alexa being unable to get past episode 249 (that confused Alexa as it was re-posted and she fell into an infinite loop .. oops). That was the end of my Wargaming Recon .. a sense of frustration .. but in episode 254 Wargaming Recon did an interview with Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy editor Guy Bowers who mentioned he did a podcast too. So my pretty friend Alexa came to my rescue and found it for me. See for yourself .. I became addicted (and for "brownie points" I did a lot of DIY in the process) working my way from episode 42 to (at time of writing) episode 5 (and decreasing): 

https://wsspodcast.libsyn.com/

My only problem being that I have more DIY to do than podcasts remaining. Any tips for other wargaming or history podcasts for Alexa to tune into greatly appreciated and received ;)  

4 comments:

Sean said...

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-vxdbr-eb07c8

I'll humbly recommend my own! It's a 6mm historical podcast, but even if you're not into 6mm, there's still some history in there too!

Regards
Sean

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Oh, thank you, I will do :)

I have been thinking about 6mm

I do have small selection WWII (well a late war German Panzer Division I inherited in a WIP state) and Moderns (West German Panzer Grenadier and a Soviet Motor Rifle Division) .. and a Hittite DBA (v3) completed and an Egyptian DBA army WIP ...

But when I think about 6mm I immediately think ACW or Napoleonic (for some strange reason I cannot really fathom out)

I was looking at Baccus for both those periods (10mm may yet sway me but I think 6mm may keep me saner). I would appreciate your thoughts ;)

BigLee said...

Check out the Too Fat Lardies Oddcast. Always very entertaining and informative.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Yes, the WSS have mentioned them and Episode 5 had a long interview with I think Richard Clark on Friction that was really impressive in depth and pragmatism