Tuesday 15 December 2020

An Ancient Persian Monster - Cyrus War Tower: Fixing the Tower to the Base Securely (Part 4 of 4) Complete

I was so close to finishing this project - but I sensed disaster was also near at hand. Every time the war tower unit was moved I could see there was no way that simple "glue" (even super-super glue) would hold the tower in place. It would become a saga of crumbling sand departing the base and many a wargaming tear split over a toppling tower (see below, for a sense of the problem - where was the center of gravity lay? Too far up in the tower):
'

I pondered and pondered and pondered for an answer and decided I would have to have an industrial grade DIY solution for this .. a household screw through the plasti-card base, up through the sand covering and into the chunky metal floor of the war tower, then on into the interior (see below, I classify this as a major piece of surgery that could easily "undo a lot of good work" if I were too heavy handed): 


Before the major surgery I decided to affix the "three archer amigos" to a mini-base so the war tower could be shown in either a combat of transport mode (see below, note this has no effect at all in DBA, DBM or whatever rules, but rather it was done for pure aesthetic purposes): 


Behold after my successful "screw" an empty Persian War Tower awaits orders (see below, tip of the operation was "to start with a small drilled hole in the plasti-card base to give the screw its start through the plasti-card", then 2drill a smaller dimension hole [than the thread of the screw] in the bottom of the metal war tower base so you get a bit of bite but don't have to force it to hard" - the join is then solid): 


A fully manned and ready for all-comers Persian War Tower (see below, also note the subtle bit of flocking on the base was also applied right at the end): 


Hopefully my description makes sense when you see below the naked screw poking up inside the model - I still marvel as to how I actually did it (see below, I cannot express the sheer relief I felt for not "screwing" this up and as far as I am concerned, I am happy particularly as this was a pure "once off - no squadron of war towers for me):  


I would have loved to be able to call it my "Archimedes Screw" but seeing as it is for the Royal Persian Army it seems a tad inappropriate, although the Persians did employ many an ostracised Greek in a technical capacity (see below, normally I am terrible at any form of DIY but this one seems to have been the one exception that worked OK):  


The End (followed by a heavy sigh)! The job is a good one. 

Next Up: I think Cyrus also needs some "combat camels" painting up. Standard basing techniques apply there!

4 comments:

Paul Liddle said...

Well done Geordie, you've got some balls to fix it like that but it's what it needed.
Regards,
Paul.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Paul
Heart in mouth as I was doing it but I got away with it ;)
Thanks for your praise

James Fisher said...

This came together so well. I can imagine your trepidation at inserting that stablising screw into the underside, worrying lest it resulted in two halves of a war tower!
Regards, James

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers James
All's well that ends well ;)

And the next project is ... tbc