Sunday 20 December 2020

Soviet Armour of WWII (Again): Not just a T-26 but a T-26-4 Artillery Tank

I sense a rather long rant coming on. If I am being perfectly honest, it is a rant mostly at myself, not the kit. UM models and me have a love-hate thing. They produce the "off the beaten track" variants and I love them for that. They obviously experiment with materials and sometimes get it spot on. As per the one piece track it this kit. Far better that the old Airfix/Esci fiasco of heat-glue the ends of the track together without melting the damn thing. However I have to say that my concern was more with the ninety (and yes I do mean 90) other parts I had to first assemble for the "tank wheels" it to go over, including four of the dreaded 'etched metal parts' used for the front wheel - and super-glued in place (see below, the T-26-4 beautiful from a 'model-making' and 'kit-collecting' perspective but so daunting at the same time just to make, that is probably why it was "last to do" [and if say I have had this kit for ten years is an understatement] in my stock-pile of Russian kits to do - so, yes that means after this kit I have ran out of Russian WWII things to "make", note "make" ahem not "paint") : 


Zip forward in time and it's done (see below, that was quick - er, no, not quite, but I honestly don't have energy to go into the build details as it was so demanding and intense [I am sounding a complete primadonna here, but it was far worse than "screwing" the Persian War Tower together]): 


Can I point out the annoying "etched wheel parts at the front", there are two, an inside and an outer .. not really sure why. The machine gun to the side of the main gun in the turret is annoying as the hole is placed to the top while on the instructions it is placed to the bottom [and it was not just a case of me rotating it wrong, honest]. But .. once done I fell in love with it .. it was an insane sense of achievement over the odds ,, and yes I would buy another UM model (if a simpler alternative was not to hand), despite all my cussing (see below, a T-26 ready to take on the Fascists): 


Sorry, one final rant, but no it is not about the number of times I dropped small parts on the floor and crawled around on my hands and knees, and believe me I was being very careful. Neither is it the fact that I could not find plastic part 67 (the turret machine gun part, yes - to go in the misplaced hole [top not bottom] in the turret MG socket) anywhere on the plastic sprue - I finally located it specially segregated in the etched parts bag! To be fair, it was where the instructions cunningly said it was .. albeit in the small print. No it is the fact that despite the T-26-4 having a rear MG (a classic design feature of early war Russian tanks) they didn't give you one. Why? Would it have broke the bank? After all it made it to the box art on the back of the kit! So off I go to salvage something from the WWII spates box (see below, my rear MG actually comes from a PSC German rifle .. ha and I don't care .. it feels suitable punishment for this Russian tank to really on a German Lanser weapon!)


Having said all that. I love this little kit. Rant over. Yes I am thinking about buying UM BT5 or BT7 next. Unless PSC do one in 2021 or I can get my hands on a decent five piece resin model instead. Watch this space in 2021 ;) 

8 comments:

Pete. said...

Great work on a difficult looking kit.

I went for Milicast Resins for my BT5s for what it is worth.

Cheers,

Pete.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Good call Pete

Nigel Drury said...

Have a look at Shellhole scenics. They have a good Russian range.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Nice spot Nigel, thanks
I will bear them in mind

https://shellholescenics.co.uk/

MrF said...

I thought 'super gluing' a gun barrel on a 10mm tank was 'Hard work'..lol

All the Best
MrF

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Mr F, the situation is best described to my mind as as .. each wargamer searches out their own unique challenges.
Have fun ;)

Bluewillow said...

Great stuff, I have almost given up on plastic kits for tanks and trucks and switched to resin and printed now.

Minarions have just released a new BT-5 which I think I will pick up to finish my Russians

Cheers
Matt

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Good call Blue Willow
I too need "about" three BTs to finish off my early war "fleet"
Cheers