Thursday 23 February 2023

Floor Tiles: Funny Things You See in a DIY Superstore

Wandering around a DIY store (and a large one at that) is not my most favourite pastime. For me it is like seeing a museum of guilty sins, the ultimate confessional of jobs I should have done. I must confess I am left with a feeling of inadequacy and perturbation at the sheer amount of "choice" available for all the jobs I did not even know needed doing! So within a matter of minutes I naturally get distracted (it is a defence mechanism) when I see something that has a meagre amount of wargaming potential (see below, in this case it was some ceramic tiles, but those hexagon shapes shouted out as potential terrain pieces to me - naval or space?): 


Pretty patterns and shapes can lead to interesting discoveries and off the wall (literally) thoughts (see below, never saw this before, a hexagon is really three trapeziums - there should be something deeply significant to wargaming and board game construction - but fo rthe life of me I cannot see what it is): 


Hmm, gameboard or unit facing or is it useful for both? Who knows where this musing will ultimately lead. Potentially an abstract game or can I get toy soldiers to run all over it?

2 comments:

pancerni said...

A couple of years ago the local DIY store had some sheet vinyl floor covering that sported 2 inch hexes. The colors were not something you'd want for gaming, but I barely resisted then. Still wondering if passing was a mistake.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I sympathise! The annoying thing is that you think something has potential, walk away and several weeks later when you have that lightbulb moment .. you come back and it has "gone"