Wednesday 31 March 2010

Yamato continued

Taking it down to low level hell:


Your bomb doors must now be open, but in all honesty could you say the same for your eyes at this point? Fingers crossed here goes!


Sometimes when you get your teeth into something you are not quite satisfied until you get a little more from it. The 1/3000 scale Yamato was actually painted after its slightly bigger 1:1200 Revell brother here (in fact sister, as the kit I have is in fact of the Musashi.)


I was seeking some meat to the bone and my crazy collection of plastic 1:1200 ships (long forgotten about in a cupboard) came to my rescue. All I need now is for Airfix to re-release their old 1:1200 "Sink the Bismarck" ships so I can get my hands on the old HMS Hood:)

[Footnote: A little bit of after the fact internet research shows that the yellow decking should extend slightly further forward on the 1:1200 model, well I'm not going to have a sleepless night over that, I'll putit down on the future Sunday afternoon job list.]

One fine day (in retirement) I may get round to doing her in 1/700 as those Japanese kits are beautiful (I fear I'll never move up to the motorised 1/350). Wargaming wise this is all crazy as even 1/3000 seems too large at times for tabletop naval battles without the aid of a ballroom.

3 comments:

Doc Smith said...

Geordie - that Yamato is a fantastic model and very nicely done too - looking at it I thought 'gee, that looks a lot like the Musashi!' - then I read your text!

Amazing ships - good job the Yanks sunk them - just imagine the havoc they could have wrought if they had gotten into the Allied fleet off Luzon!

Cheers,
Doc

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks Doc, praise indeed from yourself. A bit more of my naval collection to follow.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Note: Now (Xmas 2011) I have the Yamato Revell mini-ships triple

The "correct" Yamato, her sister Mushashi above and the aircraft carrier conversion Shinano