Tuesday 22 January 2019

The Blue and The Grey (and The Portable Wargame)

A long, long time ago, when I was in a far distant country (Scotland) I acquired a large collection of Revell American Civil War (ACW) figures [Union and Confederate Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery] with the intention of using them for Stars and Bars Rule Set. I then discovered Fire and Fury Brigade level ACW (15mm) and my interest waned. The hassle of re-basing for F&F and being "the wrong scale" to what other people gamed in, put me off. So they lingered unloved in many boxes in the attic. However twenty four years later "there time has come" as Bob Cordery's Napoleonic (extended to ACW, which is a hop skip and a jump away) is the key to the door. I have started base painting teh first Confederate units (see below):   


I can see these formations fitting nicely into hex grids - be it Portable Wargames or "bringing to life" old Strategy and Tactics or Avalon Hill games. All that is required is a little TLC (see below, the Confederate Grey line):


The colour palette seems pretty basic so a factory production system should be able to be set in motion (see below): 


The Vallejo Game Colour paints seem more than adequate!

2 comments:

David Crook said...

Hi Geprdie,

Good to see these old fellows coming out of the box! My ACW Kurz and Allison project using the Spencer Smith figures is being readied with the Portable Napoleonic Wargame in mind.

The only problem I have is that I still wavering about basing he figures individually!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I knew they (well one box of the many things in the) would come in useful some day .. just gotta keep the forward progress going!