Sunday 6 January 2019

"Nero" Board Game

Over Xmas I picked up a copy of this interesting board game called Nero (or rather post Emperor Nero mess with four warring Roman factions) in "The Works" shop for a tenner. It looks a simple enough game in itself to play but the contents seem to be perfect to set up as a campaign system for a Early Imperial Roman "Civil War" (DBA?) campaign. Not sure if this will be feasible with my 15mm Roman collection or serve as the inspiration I need to paint up my 28mm plastics gathering dust in a box in the loft (see below):


This was the first of two games I saw (and acquired), the other (Latin) has a much wider timescale and looks far more complex (hundreds of counters) - more of that later!

Might even be a case of getting some 6mm Roman armies ;)

6 comments:

Shaun Travers said...

I had never heard of this game so looked it up on boardgamegeek. My favourite comment in one of the reviews:
"There are some nice elements in this game. It looks like there were a few good ideas for a game, but nobody bothered to test if they worked together."

The quality of the game, besides the rules, get top marks. So it looks like you could use at least the board and some other rules (or the fix up variant rules at boardgamegeek). For a tenner I would have got it too, even after reading the reviews! So a great bargain methinks.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks for the feedback and info, particularly about the Board Game Geek - I forgot that existed

The production quality of the the game and components looks first class - the board itself begs to be used for a DBA campaign ;)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Link for Nero on Board Game Geek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4367/nero

Jim Jackaman said...

I grabbed a copy too..bit of a bargain I thought?

Khusru said...

I agree the map looks good for a campaign game.
I'll look to get one if still in stock.

Thanks' for sharing it

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

JJ and PH my thoughts exactly
It was worth it for the generic counters and map if naught else ;)

Hope you get one PH
(If there is a copy of "Latin" [more focused on Italy rather than the whole Med] I would be tempted to get that too)