Friday 10 April 2020

My Collection of "Games in a Box"

There seems to be a definite trend of companies producing "games in a box" that can be expanded on, as adverse to producing a line of figures you have to then "go get" a set of rules for. Warlord Games are very adept at this. To be fair it means you do "get a basic game" that at least can be played if you bother learn the rules .. with expansion sets galore that tempt you to burn the cheque book (and that phrase certainly dates me). I recently reviewed my collection of "untouched" and "partially touched" box sets and I had more than I thought (see below, my lit of crimes of passion .. a sucker for classy "box art" and the concept of a "period covered" tick-in-the-box - well at least I have not fallen [yet] for the kick-starter trip, but it is  only a matter of time!):

Black Seas "Master and Commander": again a curious scale choice not fitting in with other manufacturers figure ranges but I thought for "small squadron" actions of frigates and the like, it therefore had a place of its own in the market - although I am not a big "Squadron Man" for these rules, set seeing the price of the squadron and also the temptation I have to detail sailing ships [not that you have to - but I know what I am like] put me off. Better still, the rumour is that the rules "hold their own" which is "double plus good" in 1984 speak" something that does not seem to be true sadly for another Warlord naval offering .. Cruel Seas which comes later (see below, anyone for a bit of Hornblower? I am waiting for a small but beautiful ship painting phase in my life to germinate this set):


Judge Dredd "I Am The Law": This was a must for me - just for painting the figures themselves, and yes I was one of the many happy suckers who had more money than sense and could not resist the Judge Dredd expansion box, despite its price [£15] (see below, memories come flooding back from that classic 2000AD Comic look of my childhood, bring on "Block War" and "Judge Death"):


Test of Honour: I was so determined to get this and so I did; no matter how long it stays under the bed gathering dust I am still happy. I know at a point in time in the future I will have a - "Samurai Phase" all wargamers do! I think it is triggered in the genes or by the environment - perhaps a change of diet will "trigger it" and I get a katakana urge (see below, the original box set, and I have several packs of the basic plastic troop types by Warlord too, though none of the expensive metal sets):


Cruel Seas: A beautiful model range, a great areans [The English Channel] with apparently brilliant extension capability through the likes of 3D printing and large scale plastic merchant ships and 1/350 Destroyers [Tamiya etc] - sadly I fear the rules are letting it down as it craves for a simple, elegant but effective "hidden movement" or "spotting" system, maybe a 'solo' gaming extension of house rules might come to the rescue? (see below, and I am sure somebody [as mad wargaming friend] is actually thinking of getting a cruiser on table):



SPQR: Which I must confess I bought because of the start-up bundle being so full of figures on that cost alone made it worth while. The game system has seemingly fallen by the wayside but I cannot make a personal comment as although I have broken the seal I have as yet not played it (see below, a Warlord Games special, full of Gauls and 28mm Caesarian Romans - note small, war band sized!):


Mortal Gods: I pretend to be a committed 15mm large battles ancients man [large DBM sized Greeks and Persians army in the loft, with the intention of going up to Alexander the Great and his Macedonians in DBM (note size - I don't play those rules anymore); then to Roman in DBA through its many Republican to Imperial Phases]. Other people have tempted me to move to 28mm wholesale for Greeks/Persians for Imperus I/II [but apart from a small (ahem) Imperial Roman Army of Warlord in 28mm that was a bargain and the various Warlord Roman sprue sale packs I invest in] but I am totally resisting the "army switch in focus" [who am I kidding here, I am collecting Britons and Gauls?] but I do like the idea of painting 28mm figures. Therefore I could happily raise a warband or two of various miscellaneous Ancients. So this is my "sound reasoning (?) in getting Mortal Gods" .. an excuse to buy a sub-army size 28mm selection of figures of various historical themes that I will simply enjoy painting (see below, it may even have the scope for a bit of RPG work too - if your head hurts after reading that paragraph don't worry and just move on):


Terminator: Science Fiction fun based on "The Terminator" series of films - say no more. Generic killer robots and resistance fighters of the future - what is not to like (see below, I think I will get the kids to paint these up one day!):


40K Aeronautic Imperialis: I see it as "Korea War" jets with a "Space Theme" and forget about teh link to 40K. I have no plans to but anything other than the basic box, enjoy painting stuff u in a wacky fashion. Play the rules and see if there is any borrow-able mechanisms for historical air combat rules and "let-it-be" at that (see below, a classic GW throwaway game in a box - hit and miss but generally worth it with teh amount of kit if bought separately, especially when you get it discounted from your local hobby shop):



And I am sure is there will be more temptation yet to come in 2020 .. so far I have resisted the Blood Red Skies(BRS)  - partly as the figure range was 1/200 instead of 1/144 but that might be a serious "miss" on my part (although I do have a copy of the FREE Warlord Games rules and have played several good games with my wargaming friends collections) and "The Gangs of Rome" (interior city politics in ancient times which ends up in brutality and stabbings) - which did not (yet) appeal to me?

6 comments:

Trebian said...

You are the perfect customer. Always prepared to buy the next new thing, regardless of whether you did anything with the last new thing. It is possible that you need to get a bit of focus.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Ah, if I did not know better I would have thought my wife has hacked your account Trebian ;)

Alternatively you should put your "Ur" rules in a nice starter box (sexy 28mm will probably sell best) and use fools like me [and tehre will be many more out there] to provision yourself a comfortable lifestyle ;)

Each purchase did have a justified reason .. much like the Navwar 1/3000 kits I am painting at the moment have (they were purchased over a decade ago and are only just coming into their own)

I would like to think "buy when you can afford rather when you can see a future need or want rather than regret when you cannot get"

Another upside .. at least things in a box package and store better ;)

Trebian said...

There is something to be said on the buy whilst you can front. On the other hand stuff does go out of production so that's a problem when you pick up something 10 years old. Look at me, - I've been scrabbling round for old boxes of Washington's Army. And perhaps I should speak to Mike at CP Models about boxing To Ur...

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

PS: I absolutely applaud anyone "with the focus I lack" but I claim artistic license to be eclectic and inspired by disparate things and sometime bring off projects to my own satisfaction, with good results ;)

One frustration with boxed sets is that they [boxed sets] are mainly "fads" (a bit like kick-starters) and miss them at your peril ['Test of Honour' being a case in point for me] and you would have to fall back on eBay and the like of bring and buys.

Hope your projects are progressing in the lock-down

Trebian said...

Some projects going better than others. Waiting for the proof of a book I've written with a Battlefield Society colleague. My highlanders for my Montrose army lurch forward. Other rules project moving forwards slowly. Making less progress in the nice weather.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Some progress is still good progress Trebian ;)

I am using this period as a stock take (literally in one sense) that if I cannot see a project use for some things they may well go

CoW 2021 may well have to be in a bigger room if all WD think like myself at this present time

I was pleased to get my 10mm Italians done (they are planned to go straight into a game) and the 1/3000 USN was a long time coming IMHO especially since I have had a recent interest Pacific War naval [Carrier] board games