Friday 8 May 2020

VE Day Celebration: British Sherman V in 28mm

The Warlord Games British Sherman V (I originally bought it as armour support for my US infantry only to find out it was "the wrong type" [not used at all by the US] so I decided rather than "take it back" I had to go get some British Infantry to make as well - that is a current WIP project) has been luring on the shelf for far,far too long. Being bigger than my normal 20mm area of expertise, I suspected it was going to be a harder to make .. flashbacks to those 20mm Airfix Shermans of my youth perhaps .. but no it is a perfect low fuss wargame build (I was fearful of the Tamiya 1/35 fine scale modeller syndrome to be honest too). It reminds me of a PSC style build and only after I completed it did I notice the Italeri association (see below, the kit as per build instructions, I went for the basic Sherman not the Cullen "bocage strimmer" that could be useful in Chain of Command): 


Looking long and hard at the box art and some internet photographs (of a wargaming nature), plus several conversations with fellow 28mm wargaming Chain of Command friends who know far more about British Armour of WWII it was decided that the .50 calibre turret mounted HMG had to go. The clincher for me was more for aesthetics (using the HMG seemed ergonomically awkward - scenes from the battle of Caratan in Band of Brothers showed the, albeit US tank commander, standing on the rear engine deck firing the .50 cal HMG) and practicalities of painting the commander figure. There were  (see below, the Sherman V, minus the HMG-AA, but with ease of access to the tank commander for the paint brush): 


My eye now falls on the KV1 Russian tank which could come in useful at the up and coming (post-lockdown) restart of the Battle for Stalingrad Chain of Command campaign. 

No comments: