Tuesday 24 November 2020

Generals by Mark Urban - Finished

I liked the consecutive sweep of history, particularly learning about Generals I knew little or naught about. It has inspired interests in new periods and was very thought provoking. The fearful factor in all the reading was how difficult a task a modern General has in keeping up with the rapid pace of technology. From Gordon onwards they seem to get out of step with the capabilities, with fearful consequences in the First World War in particular (see below, a "good read" - my only regret is that it has took me several years to get round to reading it): 


I will have to back fill my bookshelves (perhaps virtually) with some more of Mark Urban's books. I have read Fusiliers and I definitely want to read Rifles (with Sharp Practice skirmish in mind). 

No comments: