Sunday 1 November 2020

The Generals: Gordon - Certainly an Interesting Character

My journey through "The British Generals" by Mark Urban continues. Passing through the relatively  familiar chapter on Wellington I come to General Gordon. From Taiping to Sudan, Egypt and back again. Er, an interesting fellow, certainly clever - well at times, a sapper and engineer by training - undoubtedly brave and driven by nothing short of a religious messianic zeal (see below, Mark Urban's book, a very nice little Covid distraction at the moment):  


Colonial history is all new to me in so I am gaining more background, so I now know slightly more than a certain film with Charlton Heston in it and the two Matrix games put on by Bob Cordery at CoW 2018 and at CoW 2019. I must openly thank Bob for my ever growing collection of soft plastic 1/72 Colonial figures in the loft (we won't mention the 28mm Zulu's from Perry's they are just a different project that has to be done) .. although the wife might not be as amused. I am feeling that familiar feeling of a new period slowly gaining interest and the urge for an armoured paddle steamer with a thirty two pounder cannon on it that General Gordon had in China.

;)   

[Update] Highly Recommend taking a look at Trebian's Taiping Era Link, some published rules and wargaming AARs: http://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/search/label/Taiping%20Era

6 comments:

Trebian said...

Gordon is certainly an odd fish. Without doubt very brave, and also a scientific soldier. Can I also take this as a chance to plug my "Taiping Era" rules, which should have been at COW this year?

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

By all means Trebian .. in fact a useful link or two could make its way to the blog post, such as:

http://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/search/label/Taiping%20Era

I am certainly eyeing them up for a Xmas related purchase
It would be useful to get your sources on figures for this era
Assuming you are a 20mm - 1/72 plastic man .. or is it sexy 15mm?

:)

Trebian said...

Irregular 15mm. The most comprehensive range available.

We need the Chinese to get into making figures for their domestic market like the Russians and Ukrainians.

Besides with the 15mm the British can do double duty in the Mutiny.

Ray Rousell said...

Gen Gordon spent a lit if time in my home town of Gravesend. There's lots of places named after him still too. I went to Gordon Secondary School, many moons ago of course!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Ray, as if memory serves me right [and a quick Google helps me here] that is where he spent "the happiest days of his life" .. his charitable work there was outstanding .. giving away 90% of his Colonel's pay:

https://www.gravesendreporter.co.uk/news/chinese-gordon-s-gravesend-days-1-1800406

No wonder they could not help but name stuff after him!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Fateful words to me Trebian, Irregular Miniatures and Comprehensive Range .. especially with Xmas coming!