Thursday 21 January 2021

ACW 20mm Project the Union Army Update

With the Rebels (Confederate) Army now done (well enough units required for the One Hour Wargame rules army size) it is time to move onto the "Boys in Blue", the Federals. So, how do you paint them? Clearly there is some experimentation required here. The first stop is to my stable Vallejo Game Colour range - could these be the colours I am looking for? (see below, the Vallejo Game Colour "blue" range - Imperial Blue, Magic Blue and Electric Blue - I have my doubts about the last one as it is too light, maybe even a bit of black is needed to add to the mix - time to play):


The first attempt at a Union unit looks a little too bright blue, "too French" in my opinion, I could see them more on a Franco-Prussian War battlefield than ACW (see below, they seem to say "Here I am - shoot me!"): 


The solution is to reach over for the mysterious jar of Citadel Shade, marked as "Drakenhof Nightshade", and liberally apply it all over the blue uniform bits, letting excess settle in to the folds (see below, a resulting dampening of the blue colour was successfully achieved, but still more dampening IMHO was required): 


So a second coat was duly applied. In my conversations with fellow wargamers possessing ACW Union Armies a variety of recommendations came back to me, "almost black" and "Vallejo Oxford Blue" were the two most prominent (see below, for me I think I am heading towards the "almost black" end of the spectrum): 


The rest of the painting scheme (light blue trousers), bags, backpacks, blankets, muskets and water canteens is straightforward, so they all get a dab of paint (see below, a base layer having been applied to each area): 


A highlight (lighter colour) is then applied to these same areas (see below, the unit has or rather is starting to "come together", next painting the base to be addressed): 


Make the base a standard green with a bit of Tamiya Deep Green to make a uniform looking base to add flock to (see below, the lighter green colour brings out the uniform nicely):  


Now time to put some powder-sawdust flock on, which incidentally obscures most of the green I just painted but some is still showing through - so it makes it all worth while, can you tell I am fussing too much over this paint job (see below, looking a little 1970/80's wargaming standard to my eyes): 


Add a bit of static grass and the the transformation is quite remarkable, especially as the two tone of the powder flock extends very close in to the figure. The static grass rings outside the figures whicj I think is pretty cool (see below, looking very plush now, I am happy): 


Not at all bad. Here is the second regiment/brigade, standing to attention, complete with Union Flag (see below, yes I have pulled all the "standing figures" into one unit, which kind of works - thinking they are "waiting in reserve"): 


So two regiments/brigades (delete as appropriate) standing side-by-side (see below, that just leaves four more to recruit): 


Now looking down the line and I think they look quite impressive, 20mm plastic figures do have a certain wargame friendly character, not perhaps as animated as their big 28mm pristine sculpt big cousins - nor as dense in formation  as the 15mm boys but when all is said and done I like them - some folks call me "ginger" because of that 20mm affection, but that is fine by me (see below, I certainly started off in wargaming on a diet of these 1/72  scale plastic figures so why not end their too): 


Bring on the next regiment .. currently in its shade colours .. the thought of painting "number three" seems to a bit of a chore and remember I need six! (see below, as you can see by the T-35 in the background I have other projects on the go too): 


It is a case of "bring on the next regiment (or brigade) quick "while there is still paint in the pot and there is also a will to paint left in the painter (I feel a little or a lot of "ACW painting fatigue" coming on). Watch this space!

5 comments:

Jim Walkley said...

I am sure there are many wargamers who use plastic 20mm figures but not many blog about them. Like you, I started with plastic and have stuck with them (although quite a few Newline metal figures have crept in). I think many plastic figures have a lot of character and by mixing manufacturers I have made battle lines with a number of minor variations of figure. Look forward to reading more. Best wishes. Jim

Lorenzo Fourth said...

hi i have just started some piedmont sardinians (actually using Hat 1/72 union infantry)
https://thewargamingerratic.home.blog/2021/01/12/piedmontese-unit-1-complete/

i used citadel mordian blue which must over 10 years old and still going plus antique oak stain acrylic varnish which kills the brightness although as you can see I am a gloss finish painter.

best of luck with the ACW chaps - like you one hour wargames gives easier access to a new project - which mine is as well as it being well out of my preferred gaming era of bronze age to baroque! so I want a low risk approach.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Jim and Lorenzo,

Thanks for your encouragement ;)

James Fisher said...

These look excellent. The darker blue with a lighter highlight definitely looks more appropriate.
I am far stronger in my preference for 1/72; the goldilocks scale as a friend and fellow devotee appropriately put it!
Regards, James

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers James
I know metal has a certain appeal to it but the childhood accessibility to 20mm scores high for me

It is WWII for me at a small action unit
28mm is lovely but large and bulky
6mm - 1/200 - 1/300 (even perhaps 10mm for larger actions)

20mm is a handy size particularly for start-off projects