Friday 1 September 2023

Benghazi Handicap - Command Decision - WWII North Africa Campaign Source Book [Including Command Decision Scenarios]

Sigh. I finally caught this one. Whenever I had looked for it before, it had eluded me - so when I saw a copy of it at Cavalier Books, I jumped at the chance (see below, Frank Chadwick's masterpiece on the early part the Western Desert War): 


This is my designated playground for 10mm play ground for Pendrakon miniatures, although I do have my old Airfix, Matchbox, PSC, Italeri/Esci collections of 20mm toys that can be used too. I am a sucker for the clanky tank era and this theatre of operation was full of them (usually in a state of burning).

Yes, Command Decision is back onside for me! In truth I never felt it had really left ;) 

5 comments:

Martin Rapier said...

It is a great book. A very source on unit organisations, modelling and some excellent scenarios.

Neil Patterson said...

It's a superb piece of work, but then Frank Chadwick is an avowed North Africa fan.
It's a shame volume 2 never appeared; but even the CD TOB group suffered a catastrophic IT meltdown. I think a lot of people have gone to FB.

Not sure I could go back to CD - too fiddly.

Frank Chadwick even seems to have moved on; he has been working on a set of operational rules for about the last 4-5 years if not longer, Breakthrough. Not yet released, stand = battalion, 2 day and 1 night move per turn.

Neil

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Totally agree with your comments.

I will keep an eye out for more from Frank Chadwick .. Breakthrough seems to have "paused" from where it was in 2019!

pancerni said...

That is quite the find. I am still tripping over hills I built for the first three scenarios. Great book, enjoy!
PS, I still like CD also.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Totally agree Pancerni - hence but a mere moment's hesitation before I clicked "buy"