Monday 25 September 2023

US Artillery and AT Guns WWII (Part 1)

I was recently looking at my old favuorite Command Decision and the WWII US Infantry (1944) OoB, circa the Battle of the Bulge, to see what 1/72 scale hobby "bits and bobs" I was missing. For the infantry and vehicle types I was pleasantly surprised to see I had them rather well covered but for AT and artillery there were a few "gaps". The US Battalion 57mm AT Gun was a simple conversion project from the stalwart Airfix British six pounder (although I did need four of them for the complete RCT). The heavier three inch cousin, converted AA gun to AT gun was another matter though, but an internet search eventually came up with a stockist of an ACE model kit (see below, sadly they are currently out of production so it was a one off tad pricey purchase - but it is all done now): 


The US artillery was a cheeky, cheap by comparison purchase of 105mm standard US Howitzer (also suitable for post WWII conflicts like Indo-China) from Grubby Tanks and their Britannia Miniatures stocked range (see below, I got two but really on reflection want three for the battalion so I know I will have to "go back" to them - and while there also get some more of their nice US Art Crew): 


Coincidently like all good wargames when I had been to a local DIY superstore for a "bathroom project" - I was also on the lookout for "potential wargame materials" (as well as a bathroom sealant remover). I passed an artificial lawn section where they selling off "cheap" small patches. What is not to like?. Could they be of use? (see below, I think there is potential): 


This was Part One of my WWII US RCT OoB scan, more to follow - such as the "cannon company" gun!

2 comments:

pancerni said...

The "fill in the gaps " is always fun as a project. My 1939 Poles are getting the same type attention as I try to get the Command Decision OB's filled out.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I know exactly where you are coming from ;)