Tuesday 29 August 2023

Early Birthday Present to Me: XTR Command Magazine Games #1, #2, #3 and #4 from the 1980's!

The rationale behind this seemingly crazy purchase of (very, very) old and perhaps "superseded" games being .. that it completes a collection and when it is done, it is done and it is also a source of delight to me. I first discovered XTR Command Magazine in the early 1990's, after buying a few editions I then took the plunge and subscribed to it. This allowed me to bag a continuous run from Issue #15 (I Am Spartacus) through to its final edition (sniff) of Issue #54 (When Dragons Fight) as XTR as a company went "pop" (apparently they made a mistake by relocating their print  operation to a Canadian company and suffered from quality issues - that broke them).  Since that time be it through conventions or watching back issue magazine sites [such as Board Game Geek and Second Chance Games]. I managed to get back to Issue #5 (Hamburger Hill). Although I have not (yet) played them all, I have always enjoyed the production quality and replay value, certainly of the ones  I have played. So when the opportunity cane to get them all and 'close the gate' - I thought, "If not now then when?" (see below, the final four compatriots to complete the merry band of fifty two, three of which are magazine and game, one Issue #4 (Lion of Ethiopia) game only): 


Nostalgia: I think my all time favourite XTR Command game is Issue #14 (Victory at Midway), it still makes me sweat - closely followed by Issue #10 Alexandros ;) 

Most innovative - well I think Issue #20 (Cortes: Conquest of the Aztecs).

One of my brother's favourites being Issue #30 (Across the Potomac) when he crushed me in an old school PBM game.

No comments: