Tuesday 16 October 2012

Airfix Dornier Do.17 E/F Assembly Question: Am I doing it right?

As part of the 'WWII School Project' I am putting together a Dornier Do.17 E/F, but am I doing it correctly? A classic old Airfix kit of a plane that tried to 'bomb my dad' when he was in the 'Home Guard' (see below):

 
I came to "an assembly issue". It all started with this chap, the rear gunner and radio operator sitting on his stool (see below):  


Looking at the instructions I see a different diagram (see below, top left corner - the spar that the seat sits on looks to be completely he wrong or rather a different shape - a classic Airfix now get out of that or have I missed something?):


This is how I put it together (see below):


Not being quite happy with it I changed it to thus, with a 90 degree twist to the gunner to sit more centrally (see below), but have I done it as intended? Or is it a case of a change/amendment that was never corrected in the instructions?


The crew now "complete" inside the fuselage and with the wings on (see below): 


A bit of a cockpit close-up (see below):


The whole thing from a distance (see below). Next to do is the clear glass canopies, previously a nightmare operation for me but now I use my secret weapon Humbrol Clearfix :)  



"Model on" as Paul from NZ says ;)

6 comments:

Paul said...

I think its just a case of it it works do it Geordie.

Looking very tasty all the same.

Stryker said...

Nice work! I remember trying to put one of these together in 1969ish and mine didn't look as good as this. My Dad was a wartime RAF Navigator but I don't think he was much help to me on the German seating arrangements...

Tim Gow said...

What Paul said. I have one of these in the unbuilt kits box. Well one of the unbuilt kits boxes. It looks as if you're setting the bar way too high....

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Guilty as charged Tim and you are absolutely right Paul

I have made 'many a model' that is stacked with borrowed items and supporting bits of sprue hidden away

;)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks Stryker there is a lot of work still to be done ;)

Pablo J. Álvarez said...

This is an old kit but, today continue being as funny and well dimensioned model like in the past.