Thursday 26 October 2017

1941 Battle of the Denmark Strait Project: 1/1200 HMS Suffolk gets her Colours (WIP)

Painting update: I managed to undercoat the bare plastic of a 1/1200 County class Airfix RN cruiser black (could not honestly tell you if it was the Suffolk or Norfolk yet) and the started the process of experimenting with paints for the RN colour scheme. The one on the  box cover of the 1/600 Airfix kit looks too pretty for the North At;antic to me. Initially I started with the paints that game with a Revell HMS Kelly/Kipling starter set but these were too shiny (IMHO) so I reverted to my Vallejo Game Colour range, Stonewall Grey and a White and Black for the most part. However I started mixing the two ranges together and liked the results (see below for the current WIP):


Hardly noticeable is the "bit of blue" at the stern of the ship (more photos later). I was 50:50 about the dark grey deck but it is has grown on me. From scanning the Internet I found some interesting links that truly inspired me:


Gawd bless the Internet ;)

Note to self: I still have to do the Walrus reconnaissance plane.

2 comments:

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

Looking good old chap! When are you planning to fight the action?

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

We are planning for a local wargames show in Middlesbrough/Stockton (Battleground) on the 25th November this year

Not sure on rules as it depend on the area we are given
May even have to drop back to 1/3000 and use these models for "show" purposes!