Monday 29 April 2019

Command and Colours: Ancients

It came to pass, perhaps old hat to everybody else but I have never played it and it seems to be a stalwart of the wargaming community. In fact I think it a transition game between miniatures and board-games. Indeed the likes of Tim Gow uses the (modified) rules with hex based boards and his miniature armies (see below, not cheap but full of kit - a game to be played though):


It starts with Rome and Carthage which means a bit of background reading is required by me, as most of my ancient knowledge is based around Greeks to Macedonians beating up the Persians. That stuff is in later expansion packs (which I see as perfect birthday and Christmas presents). I see a long journey ahead of me. I am hoping perhaps to get the family involved because of the blocks and ease of set up. However I see myself moving to figures in the mode of Tim Gow.

3 comments:

Martin Rapier said...

All the rules you need for Hoplites, later types of Legionaries etc are available on the CnC Ancients website. The command cards don't change.

I just drag out the relevant figures and play on Hexon, like Tim does.

We've been slowly working our way through the Punic Wars scenarios in order.


Whiskers said...

Although I have not played the Ancients version I am a big fan of the game system.
I have used it for Napoleonics, ACW and WW2 as a board game and a miniatures game.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks Martin
Good Tip

Cheers Whiskers,
I am looking forward to my first game once the "label peeling" phase is completed