Monday 13 May 2019

54mm Russian Fun: Airfix Ivan

Well I have done 20mm (1/72 - 1/76), 1/200, 10mm, 15mm (1/100), 28mm so why not 54mm (1/32)? Some time ago I rescued this favourite childhood pose from my youngest sons toy collection and used it as a painting exercise - inspired from other bloggers (an Australian Dave comes to mind). I was quite pleased with the results. A Vallejo base-coat, brown wash and reapplication of the base plus a couple of highlights. The model is big enough for the sculpting to do the talking (see below, running across the Streets of Stalingrad perhaps):


A close-up look (see below, basic Russian Green helmet, English Uniform base with a Khaki highlight, Black Boots with a ting grey highlight and a little bit of extra time on the face (see below, a stern expression of determination methinks across his brow, it is a long road to Berlin):


Perhaps he could be of use in Tim Gow's 54mm games .. trouble is I don't think he has many friends left in good shape from the Toy Box!

5 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

he Looks great. That and the DAK were my favourite 54mm sets.

John Y said...

Looks splendid! I am admittedly biased in favor of plastic 54s but I do hope you can find some comrades for this fellow.

Cheers!

- John

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Gents,

I have to confess there is a certain "feel" to 54 mm figures
Cannot see myself painting squads or battalions of them though!

PS I think he was the sole salvageable Russian .. I'll take another look but I don't think it will be a pretty sight in the Toy Box!

Tim Gow said...

It all starts with one. I knew we’d get you eventually....

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Tim Gow you are a bad man
I do have a pack of unopened 8th Army upstairs in the loft!

I can claim teh moral ehigh ground as I put back a Tamiya Pz IVD in Hobbycraft despite having "a moment" of weakness ;)