Friday 3 January 2020

This is where my "love" of Naval Started, blame it on Paul Hague

Take me back thirty eight years to the tender age of 13 or 14 and I read this book from my local library cover to cover several times over. It therefore seemed apt and fitting to buy a second hand ex-library book (see below, the hallowed tome of infamy):


In fact with the ticket sheet intact in the front of the book, the first date in it [9 May 1983] bears a striking similarity to when I first would have read (a different copy of) it. Spooky to think "another wargaming soul" (albeit a Londoner .. as opposed to his opposite in the North)  would have been going through similar deliberations (such as how do I get my hands on an average dice and a d10?). It seems to have been well read until June 1994, an eleven year tour of duty before "retirement" (see below, badges on honour and a passage through many wargamers hands - spooky if anybody who had took this book out was actually reading this post):


This was the reason why my parents "worried so much about what I was doing in my bedroom with balsa wood, a modelling knife, strong smelling balsa glue, Cornflakes cereal packets (used for bases), matchsticks and Tamiya paints [Grey, Blue and White]". Did they not realise I was creating the Grand Fleet and German High Seas Fleet in miniature? I also have Paul Hague's later book which I found "good" too but 'wanting' in childhood memory first love sense (see below, submarines, aircraft carriers and WW2 battleships):


2020 could see the recreation of the four classic "sea battles" contained in "Sea Battles in Miniature: A Guide to Naval Wargaming". A definitive counter-point to Fletcher Pratt which has to be done in 2020 (maybe at CoW 2020?).

9 comments:

Jim Jackaman said...

I'm on a similar nostalgia trip myself! Having said that, my epiphany was Tank Battles in Miniature: NW Frontier, again from the local library. I even copied the rules out onto filing cards to use with 1/300 scale Heroics and Ros tanks.

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

Loved the first book and appreciate the second. I fought a number of actions using the WW1 rules in 1/3000th years ago and they were great fun.

The author's Battle of the Texel is a great read.

All the best,

DC

Phil Dutré said...

Definitely love it when there's still the old library card still inside. I have a few wargaming books like that myself. Of course, it doesn;t matter for the contents, but it gives character and a history to the book as an object.

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Geordie,

Paul Hague’s books are still excellent naval wargame books, and occupy honoured places on my bookshelves.

All the best,

Bob

Peter Douglas said...

It’s one of my favourites. I first found it while in university and it quickly replaced Featherstones naval wargames in the pantheon. Lots of good stuff for non naval games too.

A J said...

I have that very book of Paul Hague's, and it got me into naval wargaming. Mine was bought new, but I think your ex-libris has far more character. I remember the Airfix guides of the 70s, and my local library saw me checking them out more than once.

Graham C said...

Still got my copy from way back when! Ex library books was always a good cheap way of getting the classics -picked up a copy of the Wargame for £2 at a library sale.

Colkitto said...

The best book on naval wargaming ever. I really hope Mr Hague - wherever he may be - knows what a fan club he has!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Gents, it is so nice to see that so many of you share my warmth and respect for these books - in particular the first one! I am planning to do the four naval battles this year somehow ;)

Jim: Yes, Tank Battles in Miniature is a classic