Saturday 4 September 2021

A Study in Dry-Brushing "Gun Metal": Necrons

I will say it again and again, for me a historical painting impasse is often unblocked by a trip down Fantasy or Science Fiction lane. In this case it was a return to Necron metallic robotic Vallejo Gun Metal and an exercise dry-brushing. I applaud the Games Workshop design team for some incredible robotic sculpts, but try as they might with other worldly paint schemes, but I am going to always see them as Terminators and steely-gun metal (see below, my Necron hoard gathered across a decade): 


At least they have all been, primed, then black-washed and dry-brushed gun metal. What follows will be silver highlights and perhaps inking in detail. The "orb" power sources need a unearthly shade of green or the like. I seem to have a platoon like structure of three squads of eleven and a HQ unit, not far away from Chain of Command! A welcome "Work In Progress" (WIP). 

2 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

I never dry brush gun metal. I use a mix of gloss black and silver (go easy on the black) and just paint it. The look is so exactly the kind of burnished metal that I like, and self highlighting too. Gives weaponry just that martial glint. Swear by it.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hmm
I must admit I am getting RSI with all the robotic metallic surfaces

Gun metal for "guns" I paint and black-wash and the highlight over