Saturday 4 September 2021

Something Completely Different: 1:72 Baseball Figures (WIP) Caesar Miniatures

Small but yet perfectly formed sportsmen (see below, as per the normal WWII infantrymen of the same scale they are based and primed): 

(Note the final figure in the review(see link for this to make sense) was not included in my box, instead I received three of the penultimate model instead.)


The pitcher is the first up as a tester for a Vallejo "brown dipping wash" (see below, I think it will be a fast ball): 


The team being put through their paces (see below, two teams in fact, the top "washed" section are all fielding and the bottom primed five are all the batters): 


Moving on to the batters, time to put the base colours of the Cincinnati Reds. Here is a Big Red hitting it out of the park (see below, they seem to take a life and character once the paint is applied, highlights still to come): 


The final base and highlights are painted (but not yet terrain based) batting line-up, two batters and three base runners - just in case "loaded bases comes up" (see below, numbers and team logo still yet to be applied): 


A close up of "Smoking Joe" (note, a name I just made up) ready to hit a home run (see below, there are three shades at play, as I followed my standard 28mm painting pattern): 


Exhibition style, once again the Cincinnati Reds Batting team in their away colours (see below, I am pausing for breath before I dare tackle the numbers, some would say searching for a brush small enough to do the job): 


In the meantime I decided to pay some attention to the fielding side, aka the Oakland A's (see below, base colours applied - using Vallejo Game Colour range as they are nice and bright): 


Highlights applied (see below, seems to work well): 


From the reverse side (see below, not a pitcher despite its poised posture): 


Very small front number and team logo (see below, the white 'A' on the hat will come later): 


Finally I make a tentative stab at the numbers (see below, an application of green, followed by touching up areas with white and yellow. It seemed to work): 


It is a slow labour of love. Thanks to "gawd" it is not an American football team with more players on the pitch!

7 comments:

Dave S. said...

The baseball players turned out nicely. Who makes them? I have some in 28mm, but these look better.

Now you just need another set so you can swap offense and defense.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Sorry Dave I should have shouted that out loud, it i Caesar Miniatures :)

Peter Douglas said...

Those are great baseball players and you’ve done fine work with them. The posing is very good.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Peter
More to come ;)

My only comment is that the set should have come with an umpire and perhaps an umpire arguing with a coach

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello Dave, please see link to Plastic Soldier Review
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2283

Getting hold of these for a sensible price seems rather hard!
Otherwise I think my brother would have stock piled a few for me to paint!

Philotep said...

They're really great, congratulations! I should have bought some when they were still in production... Nice, original, expertly painted, I love what you achieved with them :)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers Philotep
I have been there when you see something in a shop, pick it up and regret it as they disappear ;)

Hence a lurking box of basketball players from the same series ;)