Thursday 20 December 2018

School Tank Project - The Tiger Tamer .. The Sherman Firefly

So it started, a decree from school and a small child wanting to make a WWII tank. I told the lad about the fabled "Tiger Tamer" that was the Allied response to the deadly German Tiger and Panther tanks. The journey started with a tank that would not survive the trip to the primary school (see below, the 1/32 inspiration [from a company called "21st Century Toys" I think] and some seemingly random bits of cardboard and balsa - can you see what it is yet): 


Taking that distinctive boxy Sherman shape (see below, courtesy of an ingenious "flat" stapler gun - my universe has completely changed):


Classic PVA mixed with "Pound Shop" or "Home Bargains" acrylic for quite an authentic (IMHO) British Army Bronze Green (see below - this was quite a messy part of the process, also track and turret parts are WIP):


Next was a clever (if I do say so myself) use of coffee stirrings that I "always" collect when I can (see below, snipped into pieces and around a cardboard and balsa frame - two of which have to be made of course - this took some effort sticking them on with the aid of a "glue gun"):


First production "mock-up"(see below, a HB pencil has been brought in after much debate to be the "gun" - perhaps a slightly Super Sherman 105mm rather than a 76mm Firefly 17 pounder, but what the heck I am sure the kids will love it):


Looking good (see below, please note the "gun mantle"):


Painting time - Green complete (see below, "looking good?"):


Final painting job, the tracks, black courtesy of "The Works" art section and final "glue gun" assembly (see below, note - I had quite a hard job steering my sons painting away from the "green" sides):


Bring on that "Tiger" (see below, close infantry armour cooperation with Airfix British Infantry - also note the line drawn wheels and suspension):


Who knows Tim does a WWII lawn battle beckon for it in 2019 or do you require a mass production line to churn out twenty or so for a RTR?

6 comments:

Tim Gow said...

Very good! Now try it in 1/48 scale and prepare for mass production!

Stryker said...

Pure genius (and PVA)!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Lol Tim I'll see what I can do
As Father Ted said "Dougal. Far away small, big - close up"
Scale it's all relative

So you do 1/32 infantry and 1/48 vehicles!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Stryker
Cheers

Mr Maker has certainly upped everyone's game since the days of John Noakes "Here's one I made earlier"

Thank gawd I didn't have to use the dreaded air-drying clay

Archduke Piccolo said...

What a cool project! I might be forced to make a squadron of these - or something similar - for my 'Army Men' project.

A couple of years back I built a Tiger kit that was a bit deficient in road wheels, having flat disks only. Upon these I painted a black arc (roughly 30 degrees) just in from the top of the wheel, and a white arc just above the bottom. The 3D effect is fairly reasonable, I reckon...

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

AP:

The little lad was well chuffed with the result