Monday 2 June 2014

Liebster Award (2014)

To use a name that I always associate with "Black Adder II" and  "Black Adder Goes Forth" I must pay my thanks to "Bob" for nominating this humble blog for a Leibster award :)

I am honoured, for praise from Bob is indeed high praise indeed.




Questions and Answers: 

Why did you start blogging?

  • Born out of frustration really, I was surrounded by the unadulterated clutter of the bric-a-brac and toys of my wargaming hobby. I never seemed to achieve anything or make sense of what I was doing despite poiring seemingly hundreds of hours and pounds (an underestimate here methinks) into the hobby. I decided therefore I needed a form of visual diary of the "pretty things" I had painted and a "potted history" of the games played. This perhaps would help me in some small way to organize or at least understand (and also inspire new) my thoughts by "brain dumping" all of  my crazy projects into the "blog sphere" for comments. 
If you could change one thing about the wargaming hobby, what would it be?
  • Rule lawyers, those that have turned to the "dark side" of the force, it is in us all and there is always the acute danger that we too can be turned to it (or even worse we are already there and don't yet realize it)
What is best in life?
  • Generally the "free bits" we underrate and take for granted, like "fresh air" and soppy stuff like "love" (careful I am getting all "tearful and chokey")
Fame or fortune?
  • "Infamy, infamy they've all got it in for me!" Sorry I could not resist it. I would say fame, or rather acknowledgement and respect of my peers and perhaps a contribution to the good of the wider world. Naturally I hope my wife will not be reading this bit ... somehow fortune and wargaming don't seem to go hand-in-hand.
What miniatures are you most proud of having painted?
  • Generally speaking, the last ones that have passed across the painting table, which I think is a healthy and good thing. Currently this is some traditional Russian World War II Esci/Italeri "plastic infantry" not in the least bit flash but very satisfying to get painted to a decent standard. I hope my best is yet to come :)
How do you deal with burn out?
  • I "potter and paint" in my hobby mode or if I am too shattered I try to "sleep" lots
Why is a raven like a writing desk?
  • OK, I started thinking about it, but could only come up with "But they are not alike?" felt so, so stupid, so I Googled for it and saw the references to Edgar Alan Poe and Lewis Carroll's 'Mad Hatter's Tea Party'. I also note that there are far, far more cleverer (and far less literal) people in the world than me and hence I want to move on quickly moving onto the next question
Star Wars or Star Trek?
  • Oh, depends on my mood. Currently it's Star Wars but I think that is because it is far easier for my kids to follow and hence for me to watch with them. I have a feeling they will drift into Star Trek more as they get older (when in their teens?)
If you could only buy from one miniatures company from now on, which one would it be?
  • Plastic Soldier Company (PSC), but I would have to ask them to expand the diversity of what they produce to cover the ancient period in 15mm, WWII in 1/200 and 1/300 as well, naval in 1/3000 (WWI, WWII and modern), naval in 1/1200 (Napoleonic and WWII), could they also produce the Airfix back-catalog and consider doing some Sci-Fi ... I think I missed the point of the question or the answer is perhaps I could not live with buying from one miniatures company (I don't think I mentioned 1/144 WWI, WWII and modern planes or 2mm Napoleonics either)
What is your favourite takeaway?
  • Chinese Egg Fried Rice with Chicken in Capitol Sauce,. There that was really easy!
My nominated Blogs that may be NEW to people: 

If you have not already tried these yet then may I suggest you give them a go :)


3 comments:

Paul Foster said...

Nice one Geordie.

Real words of wisdom.

Michael Awdry said...

Well done that man.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Cheers lads

Here's to many more posts to come