Wednesday 21 October 2020

Late War Canvas Eagles WWI Aerial Combat

These are very old wargaming pictures from back in 2018 (pre Covid, remember those times?) from the Stockton Battleground Show where I took my old WWI favourite Canvas Eagles out to play. Watch out for the "Hun in the Sun". I have posted some other photographs from the game already but i found some more. I was delighted to find an enthused group of players who pitched in to the game. Here is an example of my combat with a much more experienced Canvas Eagles player (see below, I was flying the SE5a, the "Stable Gun Bus" of the RFC, facing a tricky Fokker DVII, gulp): 


After a quick exchange of greetings and pleasantries proceeding began in earnest. We doged and dived and then he shot at me, hit-me and shot me down. Well that didn't last long did it? I don't think I even got membership card to the "twenty minutes club" (see below, my opponent graciously commiserated with me on "how truly unlucky" I had been as the "red chits" blew my engine up and I spiraled earthbound (see below, scratch one SE5a and another German Imperial Air Service pilot well on the way to becoming an "ace") :   


I then challenged the budding Baron to a multi-plane combat and I jumped into a BrisFit (the affectionate name for a two seater Bristol Fighter). In particular I had a liking for the rear-facing observer machine gun as my last line of defense protection. I figured that someone was bound to sit on my tail at some point during the game and at least this way I was prepared for it (see below, a more courteous exchange of pleasantries):


The Baron seemed to fade harmlessly away seeking out other prey (see below, I relaxed my guard momentarily): 


Oops, he seemed to be coming back. I'd best prepare to defend myself (see below, now where did I place that rear facing machine gun?):  


Meanwhile a young chap in a SE5a had a spot of luck with a German in a Pfalz going down flames (see below, chalk up first blood to the RFC):


Meanwhile a strange "chain of tailing" had emerged. Unsurprisingly I was being tailed by the young Baron, but a daring young chap in a SE5a was eyeing the Baron up in turn .. who could shoot who down first (see below, I seem to be running out of board to play in): 


Bits start flying off the BrisFit whereas the Baron's plane started smoking, both bad signs (see below, time seems to be running out for both pilots): 


Simultaneously both planes explode and flame end their existence like meteors (see below, a thought provoking end to the day, that nothing is ever certain and the pilots were braver than you could ever imagine doing what we "played" for real): 


Great fun, the imagination can see the canvas flutter, I do really like Canvas Eagles for its "Victorian Theatre", which reminds me I have a couple of Sopwith Pups to make and paint up for some "early-mid war" fun. RNAS I think would be most appropriate. 

No comments: