Friday 16 October 2020

Do I .. turn to the Dark Side? ASL? Maybe in a Covid-19 it could be a good thing?

After the joyous reminiscence of Avalon Hill's Squad Leader ... I contemplated the "dark side" of the equation. As we all know ...

It came to pass that after the fourth boxed game supplement and countless interesting approved and unofficial [with dodgy arywork] add on scenarios the publishing the mages at Avalon Hill sensed that something deep inside their beloved Squad Leader game system was broken. Every new rule that added for realism seemed to break existing mechanics and the game engine framework was audibly creaking under the strain. It seemed so close to being perfect, but alas each step forward seemed to take them away from their goal of "the ultimate WWII infantry wargame/boardgame. All the applicable rules were just so "hard" to remember and play could become very gamey, so the Squad Leader game was re-forged in Ragnorak into the ... Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) product. Rather than a revamp it was a essentially a new game, it remained d6 based but you always seemed to roll two of different colours. 

I bailed out at this point as the mere thought of buying very expensive boxed games (and there were many to get) counters simply that replaced counters I already had seemed the less sane side of crazy. I did occasionally glance up at beautifully crafted boxes such as "Beyond Valor [Sic]" and "Hollow Legions" in game shops, but I walked away. I did come close once while holding a ASL box set entitled "Paratroopers" but put it back on the shelf .. I was confused. Even when a close friend moved to Finland and offered me his entire ASL collection at a crazy price .. I said "no" .. but know. So what changed?

Well, after a thought provoking presentation  Connections UK 2014 presentation by Ivor Gardiner (see slides [left] or the audio or even going one better and do both, you won't regret it) I had to go back and "look and see what I was missing" so I bought the new "Starter Kit#1" pack back in 2018 (see below, the ASL beast an "introduction" [note, it is now no longer published by Avalon Hill as they sadly have long since departed the boardgame coil], but to my eternal shame, I have still yet to play it! But the rub of it is that .. I know I really have to, "as some point" .. or I cannot call myself a (no shame) wargamer. After all I have even played [a couple] of games of "hard core " DBM 'ers and lived to tell the tale - so what is to lose apart from more dignity and we all know that is overrated?): 


Unboxing reveals smart counters, a nice (but thick paper) map-board and well laid out rules which I have even read [once]. But the project is in a "stalled state" and I hopr to have the time soon to jump in with two feet(see below, as games go considering the materials offered, it was worth the price, but "just to say"): 


Part of my "self-inducement strategy" is to make/program a Computer Assisted Instruction version (CAI) to help run through the sequence of play and "assist" game-play by prompting for appropriate rule checks. That way, what is left of my precious memory can be used to better purpose to remember to start the dishwasher off before I go to bed.

Watch this space

;) 

2 comments:

John Y said...

A good choice and good luck! I have only played a handful of games thus far but really enjoy it. It's a lot more mental activity for a game than I am used to, but I find that a nice change of pace.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...


I hope I can follow your example
Wish me luck ;)