Thursday 3 November 2016

Coming soon ... Airfix Shermans v Hasagawa Tiger (and PSC Panzer IV)

Airfix Battles Scenario Three: Shermans v Tiger (and a Panzer IV). The long standing heros of my modelling youth, I give you the venerable Airfix Sherman (see below, the one on the left is from my "fair hand" the other two [with more professional/better highlighting] are from a very skilled model maker called Denis):


The sinister forms of a PSC Panzer MkIVH (first saw action in 1939 and still going strong through all those production upgrades, from the Plastic Soldier Company) and a "Terrible Tiger" (the coveted Hasagawa special of my teenage modelling days). Will these be too much for the Allied tankers? (see below):


I do intend to paint up the original Airfix kits to honour these rules, The Tiger poses a problem as it required considerable "pimping" (aka the rear turret stowage bin was the hardest part) and I still need to add some mud-flaps. Something (as in a project) to keep me interested in the forthcoming long winter nights (as well as Game of Thrones).

Hint to Airfix: If you can add a little extra sprue of special bits to your other kits to make interesting variants such as the:

  • Sherman Crab
  • Sherman Calliope
  • Churchill Crocodile
  • Churchill AVRE Bridgelayer
  • Matilda Hedgehog

Then the iconic Tiger I surely deserves a rear stowage bin and mud-flaps - so the damn thing does not look so bloody naked!

5 comments:

Simon said...

The Airfix kits mentioned are old from the 60's and 70's. Even the newer kits are based on the old original vehicles.

Service Ration Distribution (Hobby) said...

Great stuff as per usual. My favourite Sherman of all is the Airfix one and I thoroughly agree with you about the extra sprue.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hello SRD/Simon,

Not sure where Airfix are going now ...

I did like their Airborne Jeep, British Trucks, Cromwell and King Tiger but honestly wonder what they will produce next (or go into hibernation and concentrate on the plane side of things)

I would love to see the 1/32 moulds for British Commandos, British Paratroopers and Russian Infantry brought out in 1/72 (76) but that is just a dream methinks

Best Wishes
:)

Paul Foster said...

Well put about about the Tiger parts mate.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Either that or a complete re-tool Paul

They have brought out modern stuff in 1/48
I would have thought a Challenger or Warrior and some nice Modern British Infantry would have been interesting