Tuesday 4 September 2018

At last ... WWII 20mm Pz II Luchs (Revell 1:72)

My fellow wargamer and blogger partner in crime Renko has commented (in posts and in person) on the irrationality of my 20mm WWII "obsession". I cannot help it the "range" is too broad and too deep for me to say "no" to. I can only hope each of my models can fulfil some form of wargaming destiny (at some point). So it came as no surprise to me that when I saw the Pz II Luchs in Edinburgh's Wonderland Models .. that I had to buy (despite a hefty £18 - yes I could have got it in metal perhaps for less) because it nicely "closed a collection" (see below):


I cannot complain of the quality of mould (excellent), clear instructions and the final look of it but I am still baffled at the price! Is this evidence of a sinister form of "Brexit model price" economical cliff edge we are approaching? Still it looks very nice (see below, painting and decals required):


The only thing I can think of now wanting is a Pink Flamingo (Pz II Flamethrower tank) available via Milicast.

6 comments:

Trebian said...

Nice kit. You are right to persist with the 20mm stuff. If I took any notice of Renko my toy collection would look very different (plus the man tried to defend playing FOW and he'd only had one pint, so no excuses).

20mm is the true scale for WW2 and all the others are heretics and unbelievers fortunate we live in a tolerant society.

Unless you are doing skirmih games when you need to use 54mm Airfix plastics.

Renko said...

I'm being defamed here on multiple counts! Firstly I understand Geordie (Mark's) desire to stick with 20mm, and you will see I described the shift to 28mm as "The tyranny of the masses" on my blog - which is here btw if you missed it :-)

https://twtrb.blogspot.com/2018/09/is-20mm-unloved-ginger-child-of-ww2.html

The problem lies with the sad need for an opponent. Whatever your thoughts on the appropriateness of 20mm as a scale for wargaming WW2 - and there is a lot of discussion to be had there, if everyone around you is playing in another scale all you will achieve is a collection gathering dust.

As for FoW - I said it was a well written set of rules within the design parameters, and it does give a good game when viewed that way. As a reflection of WW2 it is Hollywood and there are far better, but none as popular at the moment or over the last ten years.

Cheer up Mate - they play 20mm Rapid Fire in Redcar!



Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Renko I think you are just "feeling the love" from Trebian ;)
In fact (or IMHO) you would both get on really well

I think Renko is very truthful in that his various splendid collections get gamed, and gamed often against other gamers against their collections .. which is a very communal thing (like the school yard)

He also has a wide appreciation of the things currently being gamed: From Blood Red Skies to Saga II to Frost Grave to Flames of War .. but has his "in period" favourites like Battlefront WWII F&F (to his credit he disowned DBM)

I have to say I am more selfishly "project" based where I provide the kits for both sides which then can go get dusty again until three years later - I persist with non-trendy yesterday's rules in many cases

Trebian said...

Renko and I have known each other for years. We were both big advocates of the original "AK47 Republic". I even let him field Martians as a Colonial force at an AK47 competition.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Sound like we'll all have to arrange a game together
Stalingrad in 20mm ;)

Trebian said...

20mm Stalingrad? Perfect for COW 2019. If you have a goodly quantity of Airfix involved you will certainly feel the love.