Wednesday 12 September 2018

Sci-Fi Birthday (Sale) Present to Myself

I am now the age Julius Caesar made his end run on the Roman Empire. Instead I took the opportunity to acquire some random Sci-Fi stuff from the Warlord Games in their "flash sale". What stood out was the The Terminator Game. RRP of £70 was reduced to £10 which was good even just for the generic models inside (10 terminators + 5 half destroyed Terminator "crawlers" + sixteen resistance fighters and a metal O'Connor Leader figure; I actually bought another Terminator sprue to get another 2 terminators and another crawler because you cannot have enough of them). Dice (two D&D standard dice sets), counters, playing mat and 128 page game system were essentially free. Absurdly good value at £10 but back at £70 seems a push IMHO - something for the 'Arnie' fan club. The chunky chap to the bottom right is called a Ghar Bomber - different Sci-Fi genre but for £1 a sprue I thought I would take a lucky dip - I wish I had taken a few more as they retail at £20 for three and as a standard Sci-Fi "robot baddie" they fit the bill nicely (although I am tempted to head swap for something more robotic, aka from the GW Tau spares I have). [Note to self and tip to others: The Google search term "How to make a Ghar Bomber" for make-me instructional assembly videos brings back scary unexpected search results!] Whats not to like for £12? (see below):


In addition I have a spur of four "modern" fighters that look they can fit into the above Science Fiction range or be good for Osprey's "Black Ops" (Modern Special Ops) or "Rogue Trader" (Sci-Fi) rules. There was also a random Pike and Shot ECW Command Sprue (£1) and ECW Parliamentarian/Royalist Flags (£2); then three normal soldiers and one command sprue of Roman Praetorian Guard (£4). I think I came off the big winner here as if you tally up the RRP! Crazy prices. Plenty of winter painting ahead.

PS: Waiting for the Pirates of Nasseau Board-game which was another lucky dip (£5) instead of RRP of £30! Still waiting for that to arrive.

No comments: